Because You Asked: Moxy Etymology

I’m unabashedly fascinated by the search terms people who’ve gotten to this site have used (there may be recent ones here). I wish I had better access to the logs so I could set up Jim Flanagan’s nifty tideghost script. But I guess I can set that up for some other site somewhere…

Anyways, some poor sap got dumped here by a search for “moxy etymology”. This sort of search, I’ve learned, is generally not the greatest way to get decent information on a word, but I view it as a Cry for Help — a Request by the Internet that a Pedant somewhere, be he never so sciolistic, hold forth.

“Moxy” is a fairly recent word, mainly American, meaning something like “spunk, hoo-ha, bravado, get up and go, sass”. Stuffy ol’ OED calls it slang and insists on spelling it “moxie”, which spelling the Dictionary of American Regional English also prefers. So does google. And Merriam Webster. Hmm…

It comes from Moxie (trademark 1924), a soft drink. It showed up in its modern meaning pretty quickly. DARE and OED have this quotation from 1930: “Personally, I always figure Louie a petty-larceny kind of guy, with no more moxie than a canary bird.”

This quote captures part of the vibe of “moxy” for me — the word’s got moxy. It wouldn’t surprise you to see it in an old gangster film, or in hard-boiled fiction. In 1955 the Publications of the American Dialect Society note “blows his moxie” as a kind of cant equivalent of “loses his nerve”.

Stuffy ol’ OED doesn’t deign to dirty its feet in the bogs of moxy’s history before the soft drink, but DARE’s got a bit more moxy, and points out the existence of a precursor to the soft drink — a patent medicine named Moxie, developed around 1880 and once advertised as a “nerve food”. Actually, maybe I’m being a bit hard on OED. They do have a nice early quotation which refers to this patent medicine and tickles at the edges of our modern “moxy”: H.C. De Mille in 1890: “Young man, you’ve got nerve enough to start a Moxie factory.”

Holy Crow! I just looked around a bit and Moxie is still around! And a trillion people have already written THIS SAME ESSAY, only with more knowledge behind it. What a drag, the internet clearly already knows all about this. “And deeper than did ever plummet sound I’ll drown my book.” Go here, everything there is much better than this.

Let’s just finish this up. Why name a patent medicine Moxie? According to DARE, it is after a Maine plant, some sort of evergreen variously called moxie, moxie berry, moxie vine, moxie plum. This makes sense, given that the founder of the Moxie company was from Maine… The moxie plant in turn DARE reckons to perhaps be called after an Algonquian base, “maski-“, meaning “medicine”.

222 Responses to “Because You Asked: Moxy Etymology”

1. watch tv sports online Says:

I see BT Vision offer to you Sky Sports each…would most of a Sky matches be on Sky Sports 1? Very rarely is really match on Sky Sports Three to four. But maybe that change now, they arent offering that for free. I read somewhere that nonetheless BT are undercutting Sky Sports price and selling to customers puzzled, Sky can be putting the monthly subscription up from £18 to £21 simply because they’re showing 23 extra premier league games.

2. Ian Green Says:

Thanks for taking the time to debate this, I feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If doable, as you acquire expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra data? This can be very useful for me.

3. salt free water Says:

I picture this could be numerous upon the written content material? in spite of this I nonetheless consider that it usually is suitable for nearly any form of topic subject matter, as a result of it will continuously be fulfilling to decide a warm and delightful face or possibly pay attention a voice when preliminary landing.

4. steve jobs Says:

Thanks for posting this important content, I be thankful for it.

5. autorijscholen Says:

This type of blog post will surely hit to many viewers. An excellent content and valuable for its content. Many thanks for posting it up!

6. lanyards Says:

Atypical this submit is totaly unrelated to what I used to be searching google for, but it surely used to be indexed at the first page. I assume your doing one thing proper if Google likes you enough to place you on the first web page of a non comparable search.

7. Kiev sex escort Says:

I want to win that tickets. I will write what happen in my life in this week. Many people will follow this competion so I have to make a good writing bout my week.

8. heath ledger Says:

I agree with your article. Can I quote this piece of writing on my blog?

9. Tattoo Engel Says:

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

10. presbycusis information Says:

You made some good points there. I looked on the internet for the subject matter and found most people will approve with your website.

11. Ria Dresner Says:

Nice and useful info. I am going to subscribe your blog. Tnx.

12. autorijscholen Says:

A good guide and a great website to obtain valuable informations. Thank you for this good post! Very interesting!

13. Magdalena Gusky Says:

Your incredible point is without question just right.

14. Julio Maniccia (helicopter game) Says:

I really want to get my hands on this amazing piece of kit. I can tell I’ll be getting no rest until I finish the game!!

15. Interstate 724-4197 3/4x3/ Says:

Your blog is brilliant I will have to read it all Thank you.

16. adsense friendly dark layout Says:

My spouse and i ended up being so thrilled that Louis could conclude his studies through the entire precious recommendations he obtained in your web site. It’s not at all simplistic to simply happen to be handing out guidance that many other people might have been trying to sell. Therefore we do understand we’ve got the website owner to be grateful to because of that. Most of the illustrations you’ve made, the easy website menu, the relationships you make it possible to create – it’s got all powerful, and it’s facilitating our son in addition to us understand that subject matter is exciting, and that is incredibly indispensable. Many thanks for all the pieces!

17. acute hearing loss Says:

We all need to rally and get health insurance to cover hearing aids

18. Jesus Alsheimer Says:

Really good story. Thanks for the post. Maintain it up, you do a fantastic career.

19. Alverta Seyler Says:

There are some interesting closing dates in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There’s some validity but I will take hold opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish more! Added to FeedBurner as effectively

20. hearing loss treatment Says:

I am constantly invstigating online for tips that can facilitate me. Thx!

21. lost on dvd Says:

you could have an incredible blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my weblog?

22. kino Says:

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.