Olde School Arithmetick

From Bailey’s:

ARITHMETIC, is iconologically described by a very beautiful but pensive woman sitting, and having the numeration table before her, her garment of divers colours and strewed with musical notes, on the skirts of it the words, par & impar (even & odd) her beauty denotes that the beauty of all things result from her; for God made all things by number, weight and measure: her perfect age shews the perfection of this art; and the various colours, that she gives the principles of all parts of the mathematics.

Dyadic ARITHMETIC, is that where only two figures, 1, and 0, are used.

Specious ARITHMETIC, is that which gives the calculus of quantities, by using letters of the alphabet instead of figures.

[“But algebra is beautiful, not specious”, you cry — well, “specious” originally meant beautiful — inspect the first syllable. -D.]

11 Responses to “Olde School Arithmetick”

1. Becky Says:

I’ve been getting up to speed on Tibetan Buddhist iconography, but I never knew that Western maths had iconography. Wow! I wonder if there’s an illustrated (or illuminated?) text somewhere…

2. Desultor Says:

There’s gotta be! Google image search doesn’t have much in the first fifteen pages – just several pages with the same pic of Arithmetic, Boethius (who medieval Europeans apparently thought invented Arabic numerals), and Pythagoras. But Bailey musta been getting his idea from somewhere…

3. Luigi Heilmann Says:

Nice. There are a lot of calculus books here which will help you improve. They are available for download at Askdiana.net. A searchable database for PDF files and preview them before downloading.

4. Beauty Schools Dropout Says:

This was a really great read, thanks for taking the time to put it together! Touched on some very good ideas. I’ll certainly be back soon

5. led keychain light Says:

Wuz up? Is there a way I can get email updates on this discussion?

6. sophie Says:

I Like to read about led light.Got your page on Wednesday.Your Post Desultor » Blog Archive » Olde School Arithmetick is really Nice.Thanks.

7. kaspar suit Says:

To every cow its calf to every book its copy.

8. Larissa Capece Says:

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this 1. I mean, I know it was my option to read, but I really thought youd have some thing fascinating to say. All I hear is really a bunch of whining about some thing that you simply could fix in the event you werent too busy searching for attention. Its just extraordinary just how much you are able to take away from some thing simply due to how visually beautiful it’s. Youve place together an incredible blog space –great graphics, videos, layout. This is certainly a must-see blog!

9. Shirleen Gitlin Says:

This is definitely a topic thats close to me so Im happy that you wrote about it. Im also happy that you did the subject some justice. Not only do you know a great deal about it, you know how to present in a way that people will want to read more. Im so happy to know someone like you exists on the web. Its just extraordinary how much you’ll be able to take away from one thing simply due to how visually stunning it truly is. Youve place together a great blog space –great graphics, videos, layout. This is surely a must-see blog!

10. Joan Smith Says:

Congratulations on running actually certainly one of probably the most refined blogs I’ve come across in a while! Its just amazing how much you are able to thinking about on a topic principally because of how visually stunning it is. You’ve place collectively a great weblog web site –great graphics, movies, layout. That is certainly a should-see website!

11. Dianne McTavish Says:

Actually one of many challenges which people starting a brand new on-line company face is that of acquiring visitors to their net site.