The More Things Change…

Old-school crop circles, from Bailey’s of course:

FAI’RY Circle, or FAIRY Ring, an appearance pretty frequently seen in the fields, &c. being a kind of round, supposed by the vulgar to be traced by fairies in their dances. There are two sorts of these rings or circles; one of them is about seven or eight yards in diameter, being a round bare path about a foot in breadth, having green grass in the middle; the other is of different sizes, being encompassed with a circumference of grass, much fresher and greener than that in the middle.
   The philosophers suppose these rings to be made by lightening, and this opinion seems to be confirmed, in that they are most frequently found after storms, and the colour and brittleness of the grassy roots is a further confirmation.
   The second kind of circle they suppose to rise originally from the first, in that the grass that had been burnt up by lightening, usually grows more plentiful afterwards; some authors say, that these fairy rings are formed by ants; these insects being sometimes found travelling in troops therein.

OED sez these are caused by “certain fungi”. Basically the rings seem to come about because of the underground spread of mycelial webs from a central point. Among others, the fairy ring toadstool (also called mushroom, champignon) can spread in this way. But if fairies are your theory, the presence of mushrooms in these circles is unlikely to surprise you or change your thinking about the rings’ origins: everybody knows the two go together.

50 Responses to “The More Things Change…”

1. Becky Says:

Fairy circles also appear as preternaturally perfectly round rings of old trees with a clearing in the center. Katja and Nixon have one in their woods. Could it be Stonehenge is less a giant vagina than an attempt to make a manmade, more permanent fairy circle?

2. Desultor Says:

Giant Vagina? I thought it was some sort of astro(logy|nomy) thing?

3. Desultor Says:

Oh, I see. Far out! Unfortunately, Bailey doesn’t have anything about Stonehenge that I can find. And OED doesn’t have anything except a couple passing mentions of kings being buried there. So I’m fresh out of ideas 🙂

4. Lamendola Says:

hello, thanks for the interesting blogpost. i?m from germany and i?m always looking for different international blogs to make my own better. its very exciting to read blogposts of all colours to learn. keep on rocking your blog. my own blog

5. Swindell Says:

Great post! I’m searching for this information for long time and i have found it here. I’m a lucky man and honestly It’ really important to me. Thanks for kindly sharing it with us.

Very well done indeed.

6. Godbey Says:

Very well done indeed.

7. Browder Says:

Showing some love to this topic “new to this wordpress”. I defiantly agree with it also. If you really think about it than it all makes alot of sense

8. Avis Says:

9. Gianotti Says:

Future City Plus is the leader In designer eye wear and brand name Beauty products. All the products we sell are 100% authentic ! Check us out at http://futurecityplus.com/ our prices are at wholesale prices! So shop now. Future City Plus

10. Jarzombek Says:

Future City Plus is the leader In designer eye wear and brand name Beauty products. All the products we sell are 100% authentic ! Check us out at http://futurecityplus.com/ our prices are at wholesale prices! So shop now. Designer Eye Wear

11. Kirkbride Says:

Hello ,
    Thank you very much this beatiful information.

Best regards,

-plc-

12. Krug Says:

hi ! you have great blog
    please visit mine..
    >> the best collection of free stuff on the net ! <a href="http://www.junkzone.org/&quot; JunkZone

13. Veals Says:

Well, if you are looking for your own vacation home, there’s a really nice place in Rehoboth Beach. I stayed there one summer and it’s just perfect. It’s a very roomy three bedroom home with a deck and all the trimmings. Best part about this place is that it has a mother in law suite with a separate entrance. The suite has its own kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom. So you could pay your mortgage by renting it out, while still having a place to call your own. So, take a look: http://www.homeinrehoboth.net They have lots of photos there.

14. revistapresei Says:

great post !

15. Peasley Says:

Hey! I like your post 😀
    It was really entertaining, kept my mind interested. http://apps.facebook.com/pewpewbangbang

16. Desjardins Says:

Film indir,Dizi indir,Oyun indir

17. Gies Says:

Great site. Thx!

18. Posada Says:

Si vous avez aussi des problemes de lenteurs avec youtube .
    Jai trouver un site ou c’est expliquer comment le resoudre
    Je nest pas encore essayer leur methode mais je vais le faire dans quelques jours
    A bientot youtube lent

19. Gazzo Says:

Many thanks for sharing this great article. Please keep up this blog as it’s one of my favorite blog in my reader, thanks 🙂 http://astore.amazon.de/apple-ipad-21

20. Teeter Says:

First reaction when i saw the before and after: awesome.

21. Revilla Says:

22. Stormont Says:

Thank you so much for your nice suggestion.I will give it a try.

23. Yanke Says:

No joke! I couldn’t agree more!

The Broker
    <a href="http://www.website.ws/kvmlm2/my.dhtml?sponsor=yterbium

24. Fuhr Says:

Your comments are pretty informed and helpful. Have you considered writing professionally? Like a periodical or something?

The Information Broker
    Income for Life.

25. Baughn Says:

Thanks, that helped me a lot!

26. Meritt Says:

for anyone who’s interested you can watch UFC 112 for free inside your browser and avoid those crazy PPV fees, just go here Watch UFC 112 free

27. jJuLiAa Says:

herzlichen glueckwunsch Thank

28. Vitolo Says:

?It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.? – Albert Einstein

29. Soledad Says:

30. Bilgi Yarışması Says:

31. Marko Says:

cool picsxxx

32. Selmer Says:

Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!

33. Loseweight Says:

Weight gaining diet ? muscle building diet

There are number of people around the world spending millions of dollars each year on magazines, books, and weight gain supplements. Gaining weight is not an overnight job. It requires a commitment from you, but does not have to be hard if you work out and well balanced diet.

Also there are numerous people, continually searching for the fastest ways to gain weight and building muscle but they don?t know what to eat, how to eat and for how long to eat.

If you really want to gain weight and keep it for life then make a diet plan and a proper workout regimen.

A proper diet plan must include protein, fats, and carbohydrates. Protein is a major component of any diet designed to add body weight. Some excellent sources of protein are lean red meats, fish, poultry, lean beef, turkey and eggs. Try to eat 3 to 5 small meals per day containing large amounts of protein. Protein is also essential for repairing old muscle tissues and building new ones.

Weight training is also essential for building new muscle tissue. Never try to replace a weight gain supplement with meal use it after a workout, in between meals, or as a snack. Supplements for weight gain are only beneficial when they are used in conjunction with proper diet and perfect weight training regimen.

At last, increase your calorie intake and try to make a healthy diet plan ? combination of proper diet, perfect weight training program and plenty of sleep for effective muscle building and weight gain. LoseWeight

34. Huskey Says:

Home business http://website.ws/anatoliym

35. Whitis Says:

cool picsxxx

36. Seavers Says:

i read this and its food for thought and i enjoed the the articles and comments so farThanks Russ

37. Poncho Says:

Need to tell my friend about this because I really enjoyed it.! Should bookmark this!
    Mind to visit me? Any comments are appreciated. Ragnarok Online Guide

38. Omer Foecke Says:

hm, understand:)

39. Portable Bars Says:

It was hard for us to travel out of town because we didn’t have a car. It was my wife who suggested that we could just rent a car at a car rental shop. It wasn’t really that expensive and it was a good decision to make because we really needed it. Thanks to my wife! My boss owned a Nissan Navarra but it broke down when we had a business travel last month. We needed to make another travel and so one of my colleagues recommended that we would just rent a car. It was a good idea since we really need to make the trip. We were thankful that we got to rent a car.

40. Rady Says:

cool picsxx

41. Warncke Says:

cool picxxs

42. Sarina Danek Says:

Your blog is awesome. Thank you so much for providing plenty of useful information. I will bookmark your blog siteand will be without doubt coming back. Once again, I appreciate all your work and also providing a lot awesome tips to the audience.

43. Fooks Says:

cool picsxx

44. Sivertsen Says:

I loved the way of writing the post. I will recommend the site to my friends!
    Thanks!

45. Shela Schumacker Says:

Man I like your post and it is so informational and I am definetly going to bookmark it. One thing to say the Indepth analysis you have done is greatly remarkable.Who goes that extra mile these days? Well Done 🙂 Just another suggestion you caninstall a Translator for your Worldwide Readers !!

46. Maris Obergfell Says:

You made various nice points there. I did a search on the issue and found a good number of folks will go along with with your blog.

47. Alex Darwin Says:

Congratulations on running certainly one of one of the most sophisticated blogs I’ve come across in a while! Its simply wonderful how much you are able to thinking about on a topic principally because of how visually beautiful it is. You’ve place collectively a great blog web site –nice graphics, films, layout. This is actually a must-see web site!

48. Jami Kebert Says:

Cooler Blog. Ich werd mal wieder reinschauen!

49. Katharine Wullf Says:

Hi, spannendes Thema. Dummerweise stellt mein PC die Page nicht ganz dar, so dass die Grafiken nicht aufgezeigt werden. Liegt aber an meinem dummen Rechner oder am Browser. WOllt mich trotzdem mal verewigen. Habt echt diverse lesenswerte Themen. Viele Grüße.

50. Bianca Turner Says:

Interessanter Post! Was hat dich dazu motiviert, den Post zu schreiben? Lieben Gruß!