Pine Siskin

Two exotic words seen “in the wild” today:

Medieval prof today translated Einhard’s “sacrum et salvarum” (referring to Jerusalem) as “sacred and salvific, you might say”. Salvific means “tending toward salvation” or “savey”.

I stayed a bit after class to ask a question about syllable stress, and he whipped out “proparoxytone”, which is a word for words accented on the antepenult. So proparoxytone is itself a proparoxytone. I’d seen that one before years ago, during an ill-fated attempt to teach myself Greek, but had forgot it entirely.

10 Responses to “Pine Siskin”

1. Becky Says:

“Salvific” is a word well known to theologians. Lama John uses it a lot to draw parallels between Christ and Buddhanature. I’ve got more on that sometime, if you’re interested.

2. Desultor Says:

Yeah, it kind of seems like one of those words Stephen D. might have floating around in his head, eh?

I just looked it up again and found it contrasted with “damnific”. Terrific!

3. Becky Says:

Wow. Damnific is a damn fine word! And not one I’ve ever heard. Does it have an “archaic” or “obsolete” marker?

4. Desultor Says:

I’m glad you asked! I didn’t bother looking it up, it was just in one of the quotations for salvific.

It’s labeled obsolete by OED, yes. And it looks like it wasn’t used before Bailey put it in his dictionary:

DAMNIFICK, that bringeth damage or hurt, endamaging.

Johnson and following lexicographers picked it up from Bailey. It’s seen some small amount of usage in the wild, but, it seems to me, only from people so pedantic that they think of a Latinate word and then look it up to see if it’s “legal English”.

5. tens machines Says:

Howdy, found your site by chance in the early hours, but I’m please that I have! Not only full of infomation – it’s also easy to understand unlike a lot that I find! (The site I’m trying to work on, is related to neck pain relief). I was looking to see if I could work out what layout you had implemented, anyone have an idea? The site I’m working on is a review site for neck pain relief. I have a similar layout on my attempt at a site, which is a review site for neck pain relief, – but I find somehow it appears to reload more quickly on yours though here you seem to have a fair bit more content. Do you use anything add-ons on your server that have speeded things up? : Finally, I take pleasure in such a great site and it’s a wonderful inspiration for my evaluate site attempt of neck pain relief. I’m planning to enhance my own website. I definitely will check back on your wonderful website as often as I can.

6. Harlan Mullinex Says:

Hello, – came across your internet site unintentionally while looking round the internet this morning, and pleased that I did! I like the style and design and different shades, but I need to mention that I’m having issues when it loads. I’m using Netscape 8 browser for mac, and the menu block does not line up the right way. i am pretty sure used a matching layout on a company’s site, but the menu seems O.k on mine. I think the mistake is with my browser and maybe it’s time to swap!

7. Nana Torred Says:

Thank you very much for sharing all of the awesome content! I am looking forward to seeintg more posts.

8. Marshall Krolczyk Says:

Excellent write-up ! I would like to get updates as you write, how could I subscribe to your site?

9. Dallas Bookkeeping Says:

this info is just well suited for me. Thanks for the great healthy tops .

10. Tulip Green Says:

What i find troublesome is to discover a weblog that does hold me for a minute but your weblog is different. Bravo.