Those Happy Classick Years

The Latin negotium, which means “business” and from which we get “negotiate”, and which other languages still use to mean bidness (como negocios en español, che!) has a neat etymology. It’s simply a negation (i.e. nec-ing!) of otium, “leisure”. So speakers of Latin seem to have leisure and non-leisure, instead of business and leisure. There are probably Latin words which directly mean business, I guess, but I can’t think of any very natural English words which mean non-leisure.

Don’t let the spelling of our “business” fool you, it’s actually “busyness”. We are lame. We’ve even started using the natural, beautiful “otiose” as though the state of leisure were some sort of pudendum – using it, I mean, to mean “indolent; idle; serving no useful purpose; having no excuse for being”. That is lame! Otiose mofos of the world unite!

9 Responses to “Those Happy Classick Years”

1. Scam Clickbank Says:

I can’t express how much gratitude i have when i was reading this article. Keep on the good work and i believe all your effort will not be wasted. I will keep reading your blog. Have a fine nite my .

2. Felton Otley Says:

The dieters must also reduce high calorie and high carbohydrate foods. The average sized 100 gram baked potato, only contains around 165 calories, if you compare this to french fries which contain nearly 220 calories per 100 grams, the numbers, speak for themselves.

3. unique hoodia reviews Says:

This causes the market to have a wide range of active ingredients, some of which are only speculated to work and are not always as effective as the marketing claims. Consequently, Hoodia can help you lose weight by suppressing your appetite and turning off your desire to overeat.

4. Jetta Ruggeri Says:

This is my first time i go post. I collected so many interesting things in your site especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work.Regards The most important thing for a family – a safe and stable environment, was suddenly exactly that – safe and stable.

5. Sidney Ready Says:

Therefore, the time taken to digest is extended and hunger is far minimized and whenever you read out the Unique Hoodia customer reviews, you might know the intensity of hunger minimization. An appetite suppressant like Unique Hoodia can help to eliminate these feelings.

6. hypnosis downloads for immunity Says:

Hello there, found your site by good fortune this afternoon, but I’m please that I have! As well as being full of infomation and also easy to get through compared with many that I come across. (My site, is about hypnotherapy downloads). I have been trying to work out what layout you were using, anyone have an idea? The site I’m working on is a site looking at hypnotherapy downloads. I’ve got the same profile on my attempt at a site, which is related to hypnotherapy downloads, – I’ve found somehow it appears to reload much quicker here, although this site seem to have loads more entries. Have you been employing anything add-ons on your server that have increased speed? – Anyway, I delight in such a brilliant site and it’s a great model for my own modest review blog of hypnotherapy downloads. I’ll be trying to improve my own attempt. I’ll definitely check out this wonderful setup often.

7. Kacey J. Says:

An increasingly popular search online is floor protectors for chairs. It’s humorous simply because I was just searching for this precise thing a few days ago, and I discovered that I was unable to obtain any data that I needed on this certain subject. You see, when I was out trying to find floor protectors for chairs, I discovered a bunch of things to look out for and simply made up a checklist of factors that you should consider before you purchase any forms of floor protectors for chairs.
    The very first and very foremost of those points is the colour of the floor protectors. You see, and this is one thing That I didn’t even think about, the floor protectors for chairs are going to stick out like a sore thumb if they are a different color than the chairs they are on. And when a person walks in your house and recognizes this, they aren’t going to want to look away because it will look so out of place. So the best way to solve this issue would be to be sure you buy your protectors with similar color as the chair that it will be placed on. This way they will not be obvious and will not cause a scene in your house.
    The second thing which was brought to my personal attention was that size will matter when it comes to floor protectors for chairs. Appearantly, if the protector is too big then it will either look silly, or fall off altogether and, when it is too small, they either won’t fit, of course, or they will not offer adequate coverage with regard to the chairs themselves and can still let the furniture to scuff the floors. So, it is very important to measure the actual diameter of the chair leg before going out and searching for your floor protectors for chairs to ensure perfect fit and coverage for the furniture.
    The third, and last feature which had been brought to my attention, is one thing I was already kind of considering, but hadn’t totally considered till it had been mentioned. This being the material that the floor protectors for chairs are made out of. You see, there are numerous types of things you can find these in and it all matters on a few points in your agenda; 1.) How much do you want to spend? 2.) what exactly are the floors made from?. If you get something which is too hard, then it could still scratch or scuff a softer wood floor, very much unlike cherry wood that is quite strong and tough. And if you want to spend next to nothing at all then you will most likely end up getting more of a temporary fix to a permanent problem. After spending nearly half of the day on something I believed would take me only an hour or so to cover, I would strongly recommend splurging on the $10 bag of felt floor protectors for chairs. They are really soft, reliable, and allow the chair to be pulled over the floor without a lot of worry.
    Let’s go over our list of things to consider now when purchasing floor protectors for chairs. Remember the color ought to match the chair itself, so it is not sticking out like a sore thumb. Remember that size does matter with regards to these things, so make sure they fit like Michael Jacksons glove. And finally, be sure to buy the best material for your price range and type of floor. I suggest the felt floor protectors for chairs since they are all around perfect and what I decided on for my home.

8. güncel hotfile Says:

reetings. I follow your site to wish you continued success.

9. Dallas personal injury attorney Says:

I cane easily see a huge improvement in your Posts, I’ll love to link. Keep up the great work! Your Posts are quite inspirational for someone who may be new to this kind of stuff.