Holy Miscellany!

I have here what might well be the first use of “Holy Moly” in a rap song. From Kurtis Blow’s 1979 Christmas Rappin’.

Also, a few frames from Harvey Kurtzman’s SUPERDUPERMAN!. This originally ran in issue 4 of Mad magazine, in 1953. But I remember reading it as a boy, so they must have rerun it at least once in the 70s or 80s.

Some readers, perhaps, will recognize Kurtzman’s work from the “Little Annie Fanny” series which ran in Playboy in the 70s. Scurrilous stuff. The artist is Bill Elder, with whom Kurtzman worked at Mad sometimes too. Highly compelling to this author at the age of perhaps eight, when I discovered them in a secret pornography stash at home.

This one is from 1973.

11 Responses to “Holy Miscellany!”

1. Lukwam Says:

Did Kurtzman steal “Jinkies!” from the Thelma character on the tv animated television series Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! (1969-1972)?

2. Desultor Says:

I dunno! It looks like “Gina Diggers” in some later comic book used to say that, too. I’d guess Kurtzman bit if off Velma. Annie Fanny has all sorts of outlandish expressions!

3. Self Storage Stockport Says:

Reading your blog makes me realise I need to put much more effort into mine.

4. self storage herts Says:

Helpful piece of content, thank you for sharing. I enjoy your writing style. Have book-marked your web page. Bye. Julie

5. gucci outlet Says:

everything!

6. PSP 3000 console Says:

I am really not too familiar with this subject but I do like to visit blogs for layout ideas and interesting topics. You actually described a subject that I usually don’t care much about and made it very interesting. This is a memorable blog that I will take note of. I already bookmarked it for future reference. Thank you

7. facesitting Says:

As an amateur writer from Romania, I rarely come across really well written publications like this blog which really helps me inspirationally. It shows me what excellent postings are all about. There are tons of low quality writings on the web and it’s quite sad. Thank you for your well written posts! I frequently read your blog and enjoy the content you share. I look forward to more of your work.

8. Phung Lavere Says:

Well I really liked studying it. This post procured by you is very practical for proper planning.

9. Jovan Heagy Says:

I’ve got to agree with some of the facts created in this particular post but do not have the same opinion completely with many of the aforementioned other feedback, thank you for making the effort to publish a great constuctivewrite-up.

10. margie Says:

Hey! Just dropped by to say great site. Continue with the good work you’re doing!

11. Mckinley Marinucci Says:

Hay! Just dropped by to write great blog. Continue with the great work you’re doing!