Echo of Johnson

I’ve noticed Patrick O’Brian doing the following a couple times. Here’s H.M.S. Surprise, p. 258:

‘Certainly. I feel much for the gentleman. But he seems to be of a sanguine humour, and Pullings tells me the captains of Indiamen become exceedingly rich — they shake the pagoda-tree like true British tars.’
   ‘Rich? Oh, yes, they wallow in gold. But he will never hoist his flag! No, no, poor fellow, he will never hoist his flag.’

This reminds me of an account which Boswell gives us of Samuel Johnson:

Nor would it be just, under this head, to omit the fondness which he shewed for animals which he had taken under his protection. I never shall forget the indulgence with which he treated Hodge, his cat: for whom he himself used to go out and buy oysters, lest the servants having that trouble should take a dislike to the poor creature. I am, unluckily, one of those who have an antipathy to a
cat, so that I am uneasy when in the room with one; and I own, I
frequently suffered a good deal from the presence of this same
Hodge. I recollect him one day scrambling up Dr. Johnson’s breast, apparently with much satisfaction, while my friend smiling and half-whistling, rubbed down his back, and pulled him by the tail; and when I observed he was a fine cat, saying ‘why yes, Sir, but I have had cats whom I liked better than this;’ and then as if perceiving Hodge to be out of countenance, adding, ‘but he is a very fine cat, a very fine cat indeed.’

This reminds me of the ludicrous account which he gave Mr. Langton, of the despicable state of a young Gentleman of good family. ‘Sir, when I heard of him last, he was running about town shooting cats.’ And then in a sort of kindly reverie, he bethought himself of his own favorite cat, and said, ‘But Hodge shan’t be shot; no, no, Hodge shall not be shot.’

I’ve never read Boswell, but that last paragraph is employed by Nabokov as the epigraph to Pale Fire. It hit me hard when I read that book, and has stuck in my head since.

9 Responses to “Echo of Johnson”

1. Candis Whitledge Says:

A tip to save some cash when viewing films it that in place of heading to the movies on a busy day consider renting your dvds. The standard price tag to rent a DVD is less than fifty percent of the price of just one movie ticket at your normal theater. Another bonus is that you may probably hire around 4 movies from your localized video store for the same value as 2 tickets at the theater.

2. Ernest Mashburn Says:

Ok, I see eye to eye concerning most of what’s getting stated right here, I’m happy I discovered this topic. 🙂 I was recently having a dialogue regarding this with wise ass cousin at the workplace.

3. Chandra Petersen Says:

Does anyone know when this comes out on bluray? I just got a PS3 and I know its going to look schhaweeet.

4. Alphonso Kirtner Says:

An irresistible selection of films. Lots of information about new releases. You should take a look, if you are seeking new movies.

5. Price Comparisons For Canon Powershot S95 Says:

Discount Canon Powershot S95
    There is certainly some great advice on this site

6. Wendi Sanft Says:

Man I love this article and it was so good and I am definetly going to save it. One thing to say the Indepth analysis you have done is greatly remarkable.No one goes that extra mile these days? Bravo!! Just one more tip you shouldget a Translator for your Global Audience !!!

7. Otis Carbo Says:

Hello.This article was really remarkable, particularly because I was investigating for thoughts on this matter last Sunday.

8. James Mcleod Says:

I have to admit that i typically get bored reading the whole thing but i think you can add some value. Bravo !

9. tea steeper Says:

Finding this site made all the work I did to find it look like nothing. The reason being that this is such an informative post. I wanted to thank you for this informative read of the subject. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.