Bold, myrmecophagous catbird

I saw a catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) in Kendall Square. He was on the ground behind the T stop, foraging for ants. I stopped about five feet from him and said “catbird!”. He noticed me but didn’t fly anywhere – indeed, rambled on up to within a foot or two of my feet. He was mainly pecking at the ants in the open, but also darted over to some dead leaves to upturn them with his beak. When an ant fled the leafpile, he chased it down and ate it. I’m not sure why he bothered with this, since there were a lot of ants right at his feet, but maybe he liked having the distance from me to eat.

This is interesting to me because I’ve never seen a catbird in the city at all. I think of them as birds of suburban shrublands and woods. Nor have I ever seen one so bold!

11 Responses to “Bold, myrmecophagous catbird”

1. Rueben Roscoe Says:

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about this and I benefit from learning about this subject. If possible, as you gain facts, please add to this blog with more information. I have found it enormously useful. One of the rarest commodities of all is the famous Honus Wagner rookie card, valued at $100,000 in the late 1980s.

2. Ruth Drott Says:

These two berries are known to be the super fruit in cholesterol reducing and weight loss diets. In addition, it is based on the idea of favorable or unfavorable types of each of those dietary components.

3. Wilmer Authur Says:

Hey I love your style I will subscribe for your feed please keep posting! These newer models can do many new things that your baby will love.

4. unique hoodia reviews Says:

Food can be really scarce in the desert and curbing appetite really helps. The community behind this product says that it is one of the best diet and weight loss products available, with the best and safest results.

5. proactol Says:

Me and my friend were arguing about an issue similar to this! Now I know that I was right. lol! Thanks for the information you post. for instance, you’ll notice that when you are at the counter with your contract, the clerk doesn’t seem all that interested in making sure they have taken down every ding, every scratch, every bit of damage left over from the last rental.

6. Acne Free These Holidays? Says:

I typically do not post, but discovered this article of great worth,

7. Tuan Brendon Says:

This site about Weight Loss seems fairly engaging and full of facts! I stumbled upon this webpage by way of Yahoo and Bing and the content most definitely captured my interest. I have viewed a large number of many so-called websites online and these web sites have been far from great quality.Your blog has all the necessary components to pulling website visitors.

8. Cleo Balint Says:

Very good post I must say.. Simple but yet entertaining and interesting.. Keep up the good work!

9. Ling Pontes Says:

Man I like this comment and it was so informational and I am definetly going to save it. I Have to say the Indepth analysis this article has is trully remarkable.Who goes that extra mile these days? Bravo!! Just one more tip you caninstall a Translator for your Global Audience !

10. Leandra Mathwich Says:

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this post is awesome, nice written and include approximately all important infos. I would like to see more posts like this .

11. Tulip Green Says:

My partner and I actually loved reading this weblog post, I have been just itching to know do you offer commerce featured posts? I’m usually trying to find someone to make trades with and merely thought I would ask.