Sending photos to the Philippines

My great uncle lives in the Philippines and I decided to send him some photos of a recent family wedding. He doesn’t have email so I needed to send him prints. Rather than have them printed locally and mailing them or have them printed in by an America company and then shipped internationally, I decided to use a Filipino website Digiprint.com.ph. This seemed like the most efficient approach — the photos would be shipped from the United States to the Philippines as bits instead of atoms.The process of ordering prints on digiprint turned out to be more difficult than I expected though in fairness this may be because I run Linux. Their site has multi-file upload functionality which they implement using the Jquery uploadify plugin. They only allow you to upload files with the following extensions: jpg, jpeg, png, and gif. This may seem reasonable but these extensions are case sensitive. Since all of my files were copied directly from my camera, they had the following file name format SAM_XXXX.JPG. The extension .JPG was considered different than .jpg so these files couldn’t be uploaded. To get around this, I copied the files to a temporary directory and batch renamed them to have the .jpg extension instead of .JPG.   I used the Unix commands find and rename to do this:

dlarochelle@server:~/Pictures/$ cp `find -newer SAM_1555.JPG -not -newer  SAM_1679.JPG ` /tmp/wedding/

dlarochelle@server:~/Pictures/$ cd /tmp/jay_wedding/

dlarochelle@server:/tmp/jay_wedding$ rename ‘s/\.JPG/\.jpg/’ *

The next huddle was that Digiprint only allows 20 pictures to uploaded at a time. Since I had over 120 pictures, this meant that I had to upload multiple times. This was an added hassle but something I could do  while I was doing other things on my computer. The next step was selecting the print size. Since the Philippines — like pretty much every country but the United States uses the metric system rather than U.S. customary units — they didn’t have the sizes that I was familiar with. Instead there were sizes such as 3R, 4R, and 6R. However, a bit of Googling revealed that 4R was essentially 4”X6”, so that’s what I selected.

I was able to check out using Paypal which simplified the process since I didn’t have to worried about my credit card company getting suspicious about a charge from the Philippines. My total come to around $20 US which works out to around $.17 a print. This is about what CVS would charge for in store prices. However, that price includes shipping and having to pay for postage from the US would have substantially increased the total cost.

Screen Shot of http://digiprint.com.ph

Screen shot of http://digiprint.com.ph

2 thoughts on “Sending photos to the Philippines

1. Sending Gifts to Philippines, A Family Affair.

Thepinoystore.com is a convenient and reliable way to shop and send gifts and flowers to family and love ones in the Philippines. They always have affordable prices and exceptional service. But it’s a store with a difference, they don’t treat you as a customer, they treat you as part of their extended family.

Everyone’s Family
    Filipinos highly value their families more than anything. In a Filipino family, the father is considered the head and the provider of the family while the mother takes responsibility of the domestic needs. “So when it comes to caring for a love one or Filipino family back home, there’s no better place to shop online, knowing you’re buying with peace of mind, the best quality products at the best prices, than visiting http://www.thepinoystore.com

Customers always find a great selection of Gift ideas for any occasion, from Perfume to Cosmetics, Flowers to Videoke. Besides, no customer needs an excuse to send a special gift to that special person and make their day a memorable one. All Filipino families love keeping in touch and with all the major brands of Prepaid Calling Cards available in their store, families can talk to their love ones every day. Thepinoystore.com has everyone covered.

Its Fiesta Time
    With so many festivals and fiestas throughout the Philippines, it’s comforting to find that thepinostore.com has Gift Certificates for all celebrations, whether to give the family a special meal at a favourite Pinoy restaurant, letting a love one splash out on a new hair cut, dazzling in that fashionable new dress, or helping pay for medicine to help the family through difficult times, customers can share the fieta with families far away and still feel at home.

Flaunt the Bling
    Everyone loves the latest gadgets and that’s true of Pinoys too! Their electronics section has all the latest Cameras, Cellphones, Camcorders, Laptops, MP3 players, DVD players, Home Theater Systems and accessories at the lowest prices. After all, families deserve the best in life and that’s what thepinoystore.com certainly offers.

House Chores Made Easy
    Their Appliances section has everything to make families daily household chores a joy (well almost). They have a wide selection of Air conditioners, Blenders, Dryers, Fans, Irons, Kettles, Microwaves, Refrigerators, Rice Cookers, Stoves, Toaster Ovens to Washing Machines. All carefully chosen for quality and value for money. And with their free delivery services, it’s both affordable and hassle free to style that home in the Philippines.

Ah the Little Tikes ! We Love Kids
    Everyone just love them. Filipinos certainly do. And in their Kids section of thepinoystore.com, there’s all kinds of favourite playmates Customers can also enquire about a specific Gift and their service team will try to source it as part of the service.