Faustian bargaining

Here’s a terrific post by Rex Hammock, explaining our common cause in a losing battle against the eggregious overuse of the word “content”.

6 responses to “Faustian bargaining”

1. Instead of “content” I say “creative works”. Which …. obviously excludes some “content”, but hey, that’s no skin off my nose.

2. ‘Content’ is surprisingly similar to Huxley’s Soma – in use and meaning.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soma_%28Brave_New_World%29

Filler to keep them happy and sedated.

I prefer ‘art’ – permanent, never consumed.

3. For the same reason I object loudly dares use the term “intellectual property” in my presence. It’s a propaganda term, and should be fought vigorously.

There are patents for inventions, and trademarks, and copyright for creative endeavors… but they are all fundamentally different beasts.

4. Object loudly to the mercantile privileges of copyright and patent by all means, even the misrepresentation of these unethical monopolies as intellectual property rights, but intellectual property and rights pertaining to it remain valid, natural and wholesome concepts.

5. I am not content with the content our content providers provide us.

Crosbie Fitch: Intellectual property? I create it, I own it. You want to use it, then until I die you can damn well pay me. I aint into creating out of the goodness of my heart, I’m doing it in an attempt to raise some cash for things I could really use.

Somebody once asked Sartre why he started writing. He replied, “I had rent to pay.”

6. Make that Mike Warot, not Crosbie Fitch.