World Wide Web?

webbb

WILLS POINT, Tex., Aug. 29 — Most spiders are solitary creatures. So the discovery of a vast web crawling with millions of spiders that is spreading across several acres of a North Texas park is causing a stir among scientists, and park visitors.

Sheets of web have encased several mature oak trees and are thick enough in places to block out the sun along a nature trail at Lake Tawakoni State Park, near this town about 50 miles east of Dallas.

The gossamer strands, slowly overtaking a lakefront peninsula, emit a fetid odor, perhaps from the dead insects entwined in the silk. The web whines with the sound of countless mosquitoes and flies trapped in its folds.

Mr. Dean and several other scientists said they had never seen a web of this size outside of the tropics, where the relatively few species of “social” spiders that build communal webs are most active.

Norman Horner, emeritus professor of biology at Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Tex., was one of a number of spider experts to whom a Texas Parks and Wildlife Department biologist sent online photos of the web. “It is amazing, absolutely amazing,” said Dr. Horner, who at first thought it an e-mail hoax.

The web may be a combined effort of social cobweb spiders. But their large communal webs generally take years to build, experts say, and this web was formed in just a few months.

from the New York Times

Federal authorities may have to intervene should the webs encircle the nearby North Texas Westmoreland Nuclear Generating Complex…

About dowbrigade

Semi-retired academic from Harvard, Boston University, Fulbright Commission, Universidad Laica Eloy Alfaro de Manta, currently columnist for El Diario de Portoviejo and La Marea de Manta.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to World Wide Web?

1. Sandra says:

Internet technology WWW develops greatly. Day by day…
    _______________
    Technology thesis

2. Mike says:

They are working together to survive.
    LiveCam Girls

3. chauffage says:

Thank you for this photo she is really exceptional.
    radiateur electrique a inertie

4. Samuel Jaxon says:

It is obvious that the gossamer strands, slowly overtaking a lakefront peninsula, emit a fetid odor, perhaps from the dead insects entwined in the silk.
    Forum website design

5. Banki says:

Foto is the best!

6. Scary stuff! Imagine getting caught up in all that spider web, arrgghh!

Mount Everest

7. canvas art says:

The web has created a new world, lol.. Should be scary if I am close to them. I hate spiders much! canvas art

8. What an exotic oak! Although I will not let myself being within 10 meters from it, as I am afraid of spiders, I know it is a big process that happens in long time. Cool! Umm Al-Qura University

9. Canvas Art says:

This is the type of info. that I have been searching the web for. Thanks
    Landscape Canvas Art
    Replica Coach Sunglasses

10. freerolls says:

Who made the photo?

11. Columbus DJ says:

Wow… Interesting… what a picture!

12. Well… I don’t like spiders… thats downright spooky!

13. Yuck… wouldn’t want to be those guys walking there!

14. Wow… what a picture… glad thats not in my house!

15. Gee… thats looks pretty scary!

16. Columbus DJ says:

Update? Is this thing still growing???

17. OMG….This is so scary….

18. Ok, I say yes concerning a large amount of what’s being said right here, I am happy uncovered this topic. 🙂 I was a short time ago having a dialogue concerning this along with my mates at factory.

19. That’s an amazing picture! I wouldn’t say I’m a big fan of spiders but I try not to kill them.

20. New Car says:

amazing photo….i want to share this photo in my facebook..
    thanks..
    Laptop Review

21. Sure that i’ll be coming back again to view more updates and read impressive ideas again in your site! Thanks!