International Education

With the recent effects of the earthquake in Haiti firmly on the minds of many people all around the world, I think thisĀ is a good time to discuss how 3rd world countries handle the education of their citizens. Now the term “3rd world” is in itself contraversial, but we won’t get into that in this post. The question that I would like to address here is simply: “How should poor countries handle the education of their most promising minds?” This question is really paramount to the future prosperity of all developing nations. Many nations choose to send their best talent abroad to be educated in the finest universities in other parts of the world. However, this model has its drawbacks. For one, many times these citizens never return to their homeland and spend their adult lives enriching the countries where they were educated. This does little to benefit their native countries. So how should these countries handle the education of their citizens? I have my theories which I will share in a subsequent post but I would like to hear what you think about this topic. Leave a comment and share your thoughts.