f/k/a archives . . . real opinions & real haiku

February 3, 2004

Becoming a Partner-Rainmaker-Supervisor in D,C,

Filed under: pre-06-2006 — David Giacalone @ 1:00 am

Today’s edition of Legal Times has a cluster of articles about becoming a partner in BIGLAW Washington, DC., “New Partners: The Chosen” (02-03-2004).  The intro summarizes the climate in the Nation’s Capital:

“Litigators, corporate lawyers and intellectual property specialists were most likely to make partner this year at Washington, D.C.’s biggest firms. Increasingly, though, firms are using counsel as an intermediary step and stretching out the partnership track to eight years or more. Nor does getting the nod mean you’re home free — new partners face new pressures to land clients, supervise others and market themselves.”   

mouse lawyer . . mouse lawyer small

The most useful section, “From Peer to Supervisor,” by Holly English, 02-03-2004, explains why it’s important to become a good supervisor and gives some pretty good tips.  In Let It Rain,  Legal Times special reports editor Jenna Greene lets seven D.C. rainmakers tell how they landed their first clients. (Just how hard can it be to attract your first client if you just left the Department of Justice as the head of its Antitrust Division?)

1. David–I laughed when I read that article about “getting clients” at big law firms. At least two of the so-called “rainmakers” had their clients handed to them by a superior at the firm who was generous enough to pass on work. One of the lawyers quoted who referred to “baseball” as his client noted that it had been a longstanding law firm client. I’d like to hear from the lawyers who REALLY develop clients – who go out and network and follow up and make call after call – or who call former clients to ask for referrals, etc…Or who come up with an idea that’s so original and unique that people hear about them and call them to take the case. They are the ones I consider real rainmakers – not many of the little drones described in the article.

Comment by Carolyn Elefant — February 3, 2004 @ 10:08 am

2. David–I laughed when I read that article about “getting clients” at big law firms. At least two of the so-called “rainmakers” had their clients handed to them by a superior at the firm who was generous enough to pass on work. One of the lawyers quoted who referred to “baseball” as his client noted that it had been a longstanding law firm client. I’d like to hear from the lawyers who REALLY develop clients – who go out and network and follow up and make call after call – or who call former clients to ask for referrals, etc…Or who come up with an idea that’s so original and unique that people hear about them and call them to take the case. They are the ones I consider real rainmakers – not many of the little drones described in the article.

3. Who am I going to get to play PollyannaEsq, if you go cynical on me, Carolyn?

Comment by David Giacalone — February 3, 2004 @ 10:43 am

4. Who am I going to get to play PollyannaEsq, if you go cynical on me, Carolyn?

5. xenical http://www.bestrxpills.com

Comment by Barry — July 9, 2005 @ 12:34 am

6. xenical http://www.bestrxpills.com

7. The text was good, but i stil cant find the play ipdates. looking for it dude.

Comment by Joe Fuentes — July 23, 2005 @ 3:23 am

8. The text was good, but i stil cant find the play ipdates. looking for it dude.

9. A heap of wheat, says the Song of Songs
    but I’ve never seen wheat in a pile :)
    did you like it?

Comment by Peter Jackson — July 23, 2005 @ 10:11 pm

10. A heap of wheat, says the Song of Songs
    but I’ve never seen wheat in a pile :)
    did you like it?

Powered by WordPress