f/k/a archives . . . real opinions & real haiku

March 31, 2004

Antitrust Lawyers Fear Outsourcing

Filed under: pre-06-2006 — David Giacalone @ 10:59 pm

The American Antitrust Institute has a preview tonight of a Wall Street Journal report on the reaction of the antitrust community to the outsourcing of its legal and economic services.  (WSJ reports: Antitrust Community Terrified of Outsourcing: Economists, Attorneys Looking to U.S. for Protection., April 1, 2004).

praying hands  The exclusive story is appearing on the day of the Spring ABA Antitrust Section meeting in Washington, D.C.  The article explains that a coalition called Americans for Keeping Antitrust American is being formed, with the motto “Cutthroat Competition Won’t Fly in a Free Country.”   The WSJ report gives gruesome details of current and planned outsourcing, along with quotes from key figures in the antitrust community. 

• Editor’s Note:  The antitrust crowd has always been pro-free-trade, including outsourcing, until the trend came home to roost in their nests.  I guess it depends whose Outsourcing Ox is being gored.  How foolish of me to expect principled consistency.
  • Update (04-02-04):  Like one of my favorite weblawgers, I feel the need today to remind visitors that I knew the WSJ article “previewed” at AAI’s website, and discussed above, was a spoof.  You did notice that I highlighted the word “foolish” in my Editor’s Note, didn’t you?  Hats off to Bert Foer and the aai gang for a classic, well-crafted April Fool’s prank. [Disclosure: Bert’s a friend, and I’m responsible for compiling the aai Guide to Antitrust Resources on the Web.]

1. Heh.

One man’s freedom is another’s monopoly.

Comment by Scipio — April 1, 2004 @ 9:31 am

Powered by WordPress