f/k/a archives . . . real opinions & real haiku

May 26, 2004

Poetry Not Punditry

Filed under: pre-06-2006 — David Giacalone @ 11:56 pm

Punditry makes me grumpy (and Sleepy and Dopey). So, it’s quite auspicious that the Third Annual Great American Grump Out took place today. You see, May 26th, 2004, is my First Anniversary as a weblogger, and I’ve decided to ban grumpiness permanently from all future posting on this weblog [Ed. note: that ban and the plan set out in this posting did not last long, and we soon slipped back into opinionated punditry; see our About page].

shift key neg More precisely, I will stop all forms of commentary and preaching at this weblog as of this posting — from now on, we’re grumping-out for good, and focusing exclusively on haiku, and related forms of poetry. Given our history of frequent name-changes, you can just call this weblog f/k/a . . ..

Four things are clear here at my desk:

1. I’m unable to maintain an opinionated, topical weblog without obsessing and overweblogging.
  2. my health is noticeably and chronically worse than it was pre-weblog (when it wasn’t exactly great)
  3. nothing ethicalEsq, prof. yabut or any other alter ego is likely to achieve by trying to change lawyer behavior is worth further jeopardizing my health.
  4. on the other hand, haiku is good for my body and soul, and good for lawyers (and other hyper-busy, over-stressed Americans), too.

check red The very-public soap opera of my many weblog hiatuses, retirements, and reformulations needs to end. As my wise physician, Joe Hayes, has often said, “David, you’re like an alcoholic who thinks he can go into a bar and have Just One drink.” Cold turkey appears to be my only safe relationship to punditry. Please don’t try to lure me back with flattery or new coping strategies.

With 220,000 page hits in 52 weeks, I’m immensely grateful to my weblogging friends — colleagues, visitors, frrequent commentors, et al. Thanks to all the webloggers who have pointed to us so frequently, and said some pretty darn nice stuff about ethicalEsq. [No more eulogies, the ones last November were enough for a lifetime (or two).]

I’m finally going to have time to visit other weblogs consistently, and to enjoy small pleasures away from my laptop, which have been sorely neglected this past year. Soon, I’ll have more energy, too.

bike sketch gray You are all invited to stop by frequently for a haiku moment. I’ll be spotlighting the works of top-notch English-language haiku poets, presenting special materials [such as the serialized preview of Jim Kacian’s How-to Primer, with new installments the first of each month], updating our Haiku Resources Page, with its links to haiku sources, and humbly offering — and always re-editing — my own small poems. This is not goodbye. It is a sigh of relief. . . . .[dag, 05-26-04]

P.S. By Memorial Day, we’ll have haiku moved into the body of the weblog as befits our new focus. Until then, please check out HAIKUesque in our Margin. Don’t forget, the extensive ethicalEsq Archives and Resources will continue to be available at this site.

P.P.S. More serendipity: The article For Some, the Blogging Never Stops (about addicted webloggers) appeared on the New York Times website this evening. Thanks to TalkLeft for pointing to the article and to Pandagon‘s spirited reply. Update: (05-30-04): “Hello, I’m Ernest, and I’m a blogaholic.” My e-buddy Ernie Svenson says he “speaks in blog,” too, and wonders if he needs to seek counseling. From a distance, it appears you’ve got the blog-disease well under control, Ernie. You may think in Blog, but you don’t seem to eat, drink and breathe it — instead, you leave plenty of time for real food, drink and fresh air.

1. I suppose this means I’ll need to move you off of my legal links list and in to the poetry section, where you will be most welcome. Peace upon you, dude, and don’t even think of taking up the challenge of writing grumpy haiku (if such a thing is possible).

Comment by George Wallace — May 27, 2004 @ 11:50 am

2. Gee, George, you could put me in both sections, kind soul and lover or ambiguities that you are.  As you know, I’m hoping that people (lawyers, even) who would not otherwise be looking for poetry — or think of themselves as poetry lovers — will stop or stumble by this weblog and get hooked on haiku. 
    Grumpy haiku could be fun, so watch this space.

Comment by David Giacalone — May 27, 2004 @ 12:40 pm

3. That would be the typically lawyer-like thing to do, wouldn’t it, fuzzying up distinctions between unlike quantities and qualities? Not a half bad idea, though I am trying hard not to succumb to it in the appellate brief that I am drafting as I very pointedly am not posting to my weblog today.

I wonder what wine goes best with cold turkey…

Comment by George Wallace — May 27, 2004 @ 3:26 pm

4. You saying I should try haiku for Crohn’s disease?

Comment by Steve — May 29, 2004 @ 8:51 pm

5. Absolutely.  There’s nothing like living in the moment – and appreciating the little things — to help the mind-body run smoothly (intestines included) .  (metaphysical Metamucil?)
    Practicing law seems like a good way to exacerbate Crohn’s disease.  I hope the swVa legal scene is kinder and gentler than elsewhere, and that chronic weblogging doesn’t keep you from listening to your body needs and complaints.
    Hope you’ll get back to this neighborhood, Steve.  Be well.

Comment by David Giacalone — May 30, 2004 @ 1:39 am

Powered by WordPress