f/k/a archives . . . real opinions & real haiku

October 5, 2004

sounds frivolous

Filed under: pre-06-2006 — David Giacalone @ 10:59 am

back again

the driftwood thrown

with all my strength

explaining it,

my life sounds frivolous

holly berries

pegging small by paul m.

credits: “explaining it” – acorn haiku magazine

“back again” – pegging the wind, The Red Moon Anthology 2002; acorn

October sun

warms the bed

where’s that winter robe?

[Oct. 5, 2004]

one-breath pundit

• Despite the headline Metro Lawyer Lives Up to $625 Hourly Rate (NYL/Conn. Law Trib., Oct. 4, 2004) I wonder how Gary I. Cohen has the chutzpah to ask for a “success bonus” after chalking up 300 billable hours, that’s $187,000+ at $625 per hour, in a matrimonial case. Does it matter whether the client signed a contract permitting a Success Bonus? Should a fiduciary put the client on the spot asking for a tip?

• Are you naive about PC (computer, not social) risks? The National Cyber Security Alliance says lots of Americans are. “Statistics actually show people have a ‘0.0000102% chance of being hit by lightning’ while they have a 70% chance ‘of falling victim to a computer virus, phishing attack, malicious hack attempt’ or other PC security problem.” (via TVC Alert

p.s. There’s an especially meaty TISK! update today — find out how the search engines treated us when asked about pit bull bites, defamation weblogs, tacky weblogs, ghosts who bite, alternative billing and much more.

erasing

1. Re Gary Cohen: that is outrageous. And I refuse to believe the hype about how “good” he is. That kind of hype is more often media-driven or the result of successful marketing, rather than based on reality. With at least 240 cases on his docket and opposing counsel complaining that they can’t even sit down with him on a Sunday to discuss settlement, I doubt he’s all that. But hey, if wealthy clients are willing to be suckered in to the hype and they respond to this marketing pitch knowing how much it’s going to cost them… should we feel sorry for them?

Comment by UCL — October 5, 2004 @ 11:24 am

2. Re Gary Cohen: that is outrageous. And I refuse to believe the hype about how “good” he is. That kind of hype is more often media-driven or the result of successful marketing, rather than based on reality. With at least 240 cases on his docket and opposing counsel complaining that they can’t even sit down with him on a Sunday to discuss settlement, I doubt he’s all that. But hey, if wealthy clients are willing to be suckered in to the hype and they respond to this marketing pitch knowing how much it’s going to cost them… should we feel sorry for them?

3. Should fiduciaries (even matrimonial lawyers) put clients (even wealthy ones) in the position of looking like suckers (for paying bloated hourly fees) or cheapskates (for not handing over a bonus)? 
    What would lawyers say if medical doctors started asking for Success Bonuses?

Comment by David Giacalone — October 5, 2004 @ 11:34 am

4. Should fiduciaries (even matrimonial lawyers) put clients (even wealthy ones) in the position of looking like suckers (for paying bloated hourly fees) or cheapskates (for not handing over a bonus)? 

5. Have I suddenly been placed into the position of defending Mr. Cohen’s Success Bonus? David, you sneaky lawyer you.

The Success Bonus is vile and idiotic, which is why, in addition to questioning the moral character of Mr. Cohen, I also question the intelligence of his wealthy clients. If a doctor were to charge a client $200,000 for cosmetic surgery, and upon completion, ask for a Success Bonus, my comments would be exactly identical.

Comment by UCL — October 5, 2004 @ 6:48 pm

6. Have I suddenly been placed into the position of defending Mr. Cohen’s Success Bonus? David, you sneaky lawyer you.

7. No, I wasn’t asking you to defend Lawyer C.  I was just amplifying on my original riff, inspired by your comment. 
    I was thinking about non-elective medical treatment and bonuses — many divorces are non-elective.

Comment by David Giacalone — October 5, 2004 @ 7:01 pm

8. No, I wasn’t asking you to defend Lawyer C.  I was just amplifying on my original riff, inspired by your comment. 

9. In re: Tisk. I have my own TISK–#1 ranked on google, mysearch, msn, & yahoo for “great places to die.” My mother is so proud.

Comment by Martin — October 6, 2004 @ 10:13 pm

10. In re: Tisk. I have my own TISK–#1 ranked on google, mysearch, msn, & yahoo for “great places to die.” My mother is so proud.

11. I’m not so sure your site was an “inadvertant” searchee.  You do cover life insurance, don’t you?
    Nonetheless, along with your #1 Google rank for “catholic libertarian,” it is clear that a tort et a travers has already made its mark in the Web and search engine universe.  I’m impressed.

Comment by David Giacalone — October 6, 2004 @ 10:48 pm

12. I’m not so sure your site was an “inadvertant” searchee.  You do cover life insurance, don’t you?

Powered by WordPress