October 19, 2004

expert deposition

Filed under: pre-06-2006 — David Giacalone @ 12:48 pm

On this chilly autumn morning, I’m in the mood for some work product from “Recovering lawyer”,

professor and poet Barry George:

expert deposition–
folding and unfolding
his surgeon’s hands

after the verdict
the tireless lawyer speaks
in falling snow 

first murder trial–
the D.A. arrives
in new gloves  

checker red

alongside

the silent crew scull –

coach’s angry bullhorn          

[Oct. 19, 2004] 

one-breath pundit

• whose economy is it?  Another great post by Granny D over at Lessig’s place.  After

enthusing, “I love this blog world–you make a general statement and then some people

write a book for you about it.,” Granny opines on protectionism, Economists and “their

hunchbacked evil blogger assistants.”

spotlight  Fed84 has shone his bright light of truth on the Judge Bauer story we covered yesterday. Do not miss it. (How to keep your docket clearedTalkLeft has also featured Judge Bauer’s dis-benchment today.

MyShingle is wondering how any self-respecting young lawyer would accept a life of
humiliating grunt work as a “contract” lawyer for Big Law rather than solo practice.  I bet

there are a lot of sad stories (financial need, misguided dreams, etc.) behind the phenomenon.

Meanwhile, in Mad. County, Evan Schaeffer is wondering just How Abe Lincoln finds the time?

See our related post ATLA, Lincoln and Tort Reform.

FYI: you can find the sticker here

1. That MyShingle does not understand the aspects of human nature that would cause someone to live an unpleasant life – b*tching and moaning all the way – rather than change, is very revealing.

Comment by Fedster — October 19, 2004 @ 2:17 pm

2. That MyShingle does not understand the aspects of human nature that would cause someone to live an unpleasant life – b*tching and moaning all the way – rather than change, is very revealing.

3. Hi David. I do understand that financial troubles may cause someone to accept contract work. But if that’s the case, then these attorneys should be glad to have the work – $30 an hour or a pro rated $80,000 a year is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, most of the attorneys who are doing this type of work to support themselves while writing a novel or engaging in other outside activities are glad that the work is mindless.
    My point is that if there are attorneys who are dissatisfied with mindless legal (or paralegal work), there are alternatives.
    An attorney can go out and take on cases – even pro bono work – to keep up legal skills and have the satisfaction of practicing law. That’s the beauty of a law degree – you can be self-supporting. Most non-professionals who engage in dull labor 40 hours a week don’t have this choice. They are the ones whom I arguably feel sorry for.
    Also, I am not sure I understand No. 84’s comment about how it’s revealing that I don’t understand aspects of human nature that would cause someone to live an unpleasant life. Is that some kind of an insult? No 84 is right – I don’t understand why someone would choose to live an unpleasant life because I work very hard to ensure that I’m not in that situation by making the best of what I have. I could sit around grousing about my mediocre law school grades or the fact that I’m not earning millions as a biglaw partner as are many of my law school classmates. And on my low days, I have done so. But I’d rather work on finding other opportunities for myself than griping about what I don’t have – and that is what I do.

Comment by Carolyn Elefant — October 19, 2004 @ 2:56 pm

4. Hi David. I do understand that financial troubles may cause someone to accept contract work. But if that’s the case, then these attorneys should be glad to have the work – $30 an hour or a pro rated $80,000 a year is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, most of the attorneys who are doing this type of work to support themselves while writing a novel or engaging in other outside activities are glad that the work is mindless.

5. I mis-calculated. $30 an hour at 2000 hours a year is $60,000. Still not dreadful though you’d have to pay for insurance (though I think some temp agencies do offer it for long term Ks)

Carolyn

Comment by Carolyn Elefant — October 19, 2004 @ 2:58 pm

6. I mis-calculated. $30 an hour at 2000 hours a year is $60,000. Still not dreadful though you’d have to pay for insurance (though I think some temp agencies do offer it for long term Ks)

Carolyn

7. Is that some kind of an insult?

Absolutely not! But I do think that a dose of cynicism/realism would temper some of your advice. Just because you are wonderful does not mean that your readers are. Hence, my previous criticism of your “accident” advice.

Comment by Fedster — October 19, 2004 @ 3:39 pm

8. Is that some kind of an insult?

9. Well said, Carolyn. As with a terrible marriage, it’s often unfathomable to someone with high self-esteem, an optimistic personality, or similar energizing traits, to understand why other people stay in job positions they loathe. Of course, career-masochism and depression are two possible reasons.

Comment by David Giacalone — October 19, 2004 @ 5:00 pm

10. Well said, Carolyn. As with a terrible marriage, it’s often unfathomable to someone with high self-esteem, an optimistic personality, or similar energizing traits, to understand why other people stay in job positions they loathe. Of course, career-masochism and depression are two possible reasons.