November 15, 2004

vioxx con dios

Filed under: pre-06-2006 — David Giacalone @ 10:40 am

today.  Prof. Grace says:

“prof grace”  Everyone who pontificates (one way or the other) about litigation

reform needs to see this advertisement.  It truly puts the $$lot in lottery.

Prof. Yabut wants to go on record saying that the website is most probably a creature of either

• the tort reform movement itself — hoping to make a few bucks from Goooogle Ads while

catching some greedy tort lawyers and plaintiffs in the act of being naughty; or

• the very entrepeneurial spirit so touted by Pres. Bush — inspired by his and the Reform

movement’s insistence that there is a lot of easy money to be made from the Tort Machine.

If the website were the legitimate creature of a law firm or cartel of some sort, why would “Leon” the

proprietor point to a newspaper article that calls the site unscrupulous?   Or offer to sell the entire

site for “US$120K including content, hosting, and the method for traffics.”

And why use a a domain name [yi] based in Yugoslavia?  Of course, “yi” might stand for Yeast 

Infection — or be the Chinese ethics term for “faithful performance of one’s specified duties to

society.”  I wonder what Lawyer Schaeffer thinks of all this.

as Issa asks:

do you shine
so I’ll steal the plum blossom
moon?

honest flip

1. The owner calls himself Leon, but the domain is registered to one ‘Tyler McDonald’. View his resume… http://www.crackerjack.net/resume-06-2004.html

Now, he might just be renting out subdomains, but if that’s the case, then he should maybe consider taking that account offline. For bandwidth sake, of course…

Comment by Spork — November 15, 2004 @ 11:47 am

2. The owner calls himself Leon, but the domain is registered to one ‘Tyler McDonald’. View his resume… http://www.crackerjack.net/resume-06-2004.html

3. What do I think? Why are Overlawyered.com and RiskProf wasting their time on something so patently absurd? They should have treated that “ad”–which obviously wasn’t written by a lawyer, for numerous reasons–as the hoax that it is. But to imply that it’s a symptom of a system-gone-wrong: Are tort reformers really so gullible? Or are they hoping that their readers are gullible–as gullible, that is, as the people who are supposed to be taken in by that Vioxx hoax? If so, that sort of puts them all in the same league, if you ask me.

Maybe I’ll have more to say about it on my site.

Comment by Evan — November 15, 2004 @ 11:48 am

4. What do I think? Why are Overlawyered.com and RiskProf wasting their time on something so patently absurd? They should have treated that “ad”–which obviously wasn’t written by a lawyer, for numerous reasons–as the hoax that it is. But to imply that it’s a symptom of a system-gone-wrong: Are tort reformers really so gullible? Or are they hoping that their readers are gullible–as gullible, that is, as the people who are supposed to be taken in by that Vioxx hoax? If so, that sort of puts them all in the same league, if you ask me.

5. Thanks for the info, Spork. 
    Thanks for a quick and spirited response, Evan.  I hope you do have more to say Underground.

Comment by David Giacalone — November 15, 2004 @ 12:43 pm

6. Thanks for the info, Spork. 

7. Oh, I don’t think it is written by a lawyer–In fact, I think it is a scam as it has some of the same features of the late night radio ads touting other get rich quick schemes. Tort reformers are not so gullible, but how about Joe Blow who wastes his $100 or is encouraged to commit a fraud on the court? I figure it is like spam–it doesn’t take much to start the ball rolling.

Comment by Martin — November 15, 2004 @ 1:21 pm

8. Oh, I don’t think it is written by a lawyer–In fact, I think it is a scam as it has some of the same features of the late night radio ads touting other get rich quick schemes. Tort reformers are not so gullible, but how about Joe Blow who wastes his $100 or is encouraged to commit a fraud on the court? I figure it is like spam–it doesn’t take much to start the ball rolling.

9. Hello, Martin.  Despite being a self-described consumer advocate (or maybe because of it) I’ve never had sympathy for get-rich-quicksters who get cheated out of the small investment they want to believe could become a fortune — especially when they know or should have known that someone else was getting swindled to create their jackpot.   I meant to speculate earlier that Merck might be behind the webpage or might be the real target of the offer to sell the site, so that it could obtain the names being generated:  making a list and checking it twice.
    It’s clear that your post, as usual, was less judgmental than Walter’s — more into being “bemusatory” than being accusatory.  I know the ol’ RiskProf is far from gullible.

Ain’t it ironic that we’re helping to increase “Leon’s” page hits and ad rates?

Comment by David Giacalone — November 15, 2004 @ 3:22 pm

10. Hello, Martin.  Despite being a self-described consumer advocate (or maybe because of it) I’ve never had sympathy for get-rich-quicksters who get cheated out of the small investment they want to believe could become a fortune — especially when they know or should have known that someone else was getting swindled to create their jackpot.   I meant to speculate earlier that Merck might be behind the webpage or might be the real target of the offer to sell the site, so that it could obtain the names being generated:  making a list and checking it twice.