January 3, 2005

swimming underwater sounds good to me

Filed under: pre-06-2006 — David Giacalone @ 4:30 pm

snowy day
she paints the poppies
a deeper red

midday sun

the silence of swimming

under water

“snowy day” – the shiki haiku prize contest

“midday sun” –  from A Piece of Egg Shell (Magpie Haiku Press, 2004)

new year

same old

back                                       [Jan. 3, 2005]

one-breath pundit  

• For some reason that escapes me, Evan Schaeffer — who is busy enough, it seems —   penny sm penny sm
    has taken it upon himself to dissect Judge Posner’s (purported) definition of “weblog” and

suggest that he might try his hand at coming up with a better definition.  It makes for

interesting lexicography (plus anthropology, with a hint of psychology).  We add our two cents+.

1. David: I took it upon myself because I had a couple of three-day weekends with nothing better to do. As for your list of words ending in “y”–lexicography, anthropology, psychology–you seem to have left out parody. Did you miss it?? If so, I take the blame!

Comment by Evan — January 3, 2005 @ 4:59 pm

2. David: I took it upon myself because I had a couple of three-day weekends with nothing better to do. As for your list of words ending in “y”–lexicography, anthropology, psychology–you seem to have left out parody. Did you miss it?? If so, I take the blame!

3. How exactly does parody come into the picture? I am a little slow at times . . . .

Comment by JR — January 3, 2005 @ 5:19 pm

4. How exactly does parody come into the picture? I am a little slow at times . . . .

5. Evan, I think I’m again with JR on this one.  Are you saying that Judge Posner was engaging in lexiconographic parody?  Or that you are claiming an ex post facto [and apparently de minimis] parody defense? 

Comment by David Giacalone — January 3, 2005 @ 6:14 pm

6. Evan, I think I’m again with JR on this one.  Are you saying that Judge Posner was engaging in lexiconographic parody?  Or that you are claiming an ex post facto [and apparently de minimis] parody defense? 

7. I was once advised by Rufus of Running With Lawyers not to explain myself to readers. But if you take a look at the comments to my post by Rich and Mike, you might understand what I’m getting at.

Comment by Evan — January 4, 2005 @ 12:00 am

8. I was once advised by Rufus of Running With Lawyers not to explain myself to readers. But if you take a look at the comments to my post by Rich and Mike, you might understand what I’m getting at.

9. Evan: I would not pay too much attention to Rufus – his mind is full of doggies, pretty girls and cake.

Comment by JR — January 4, 2005 @ 1:08 am

10. Evan: I would not pay too much attention to Rufus – his mind is full of doggies, pretty girls and cake.

11. Note for future reading: Anything published at Notes from the (Legal)Underground with a title proclaiming that something “extraordinarily serious” will follow is undoubtedly NOT serious. Again, however, for those readers who were confused, I take the blame.

Comment by Evan — January 4, 2005 @ 12:36 pm

12. Note for future reading: Anything published at Notes from the (Legal)Underground with a title proclaiming that something “extraordinarily serious” will follow is undoubtedly NOT serious. Again, however, for those readers who were confused, I take the blame.