f/k/a archives . . . real opinions & real haiku

March 11, 2005

jumping to confusions

Filed under: pre-06-2006 — David Giacalone @ 12:49 pm

music two centuries old—

the color flows

out of the tea bag

another day of snow–

the statue’s fingers

broken off

her hospital room–
snow filling the small field
next to the big one

except, “her hospital room from The Heron’s Nest (May 2001)

new eyeglasses —

there’s a duck,

or a boot, on the ice 

[March 11, 2005]

potluck

scales rich poor neg  Mr. Retained Rights, Mike Cernovich has jumped to the conclusion that the American 

justice system is to blame for the public’s jumping to conclusions about Matt Hale and

the Lefkow murders.  Michael paints a scenario where law enforcers ended up convicting

Hale because they only looked for evidence that would prove Hale’s guilt.   If that’s how

Michael’s mind works, I’m pleased that he is not a prosecutor or police detective.  The ones

I know — even if they have a prime suspect, or want the public to think so — keep their minds

and options open.    Surely, the media gets to speculate about who a perp might be.  And,

surely, the American public has retained the right to jump to conclusions.  There’s too many

real problems to work on, Mike, for you to be grieving or “losing fiath” because of the Lefkow

case, where Hale was never arrested and the case has apparently been solved.

tiny check  Prof. Bainbridge noted a couple days ago that Democrats have big problems with Catholic

voters.  He ended by saying 

“Perhaps more worrisome, however, is the prospect of the further division

between the parties between people of faith and the non-religious. I’m not sure

that’s a good thing. Indeed, I’m pretty sure it isn’t.

I don’t think such a division would be good for the country. But, I believe it would quickly

backfire on the Republican Party, should they give the impression that they only want

“people of faith” who are “fundamentalists” — accepting a certain brand of orthodoxy and

related political agenda.  Moderate believers might head back to the Democrats in droves.

microphoneF I agree with Monica Bay’s stance against web-payola: individual webloggers cannot

retain their reputation for independence if they take anything from vendors in exchange for

coverage of a product.  Like her commentor, Matt McCarrick, The Litigation Support Guy,

I believe there is no blanket answer to the question “are wegloggers journalists?”  Like a

telephone, Xerox copier, or pencil, the technology is used by many different people for

man different reasons.  Nonetheless, you don’t have to be a journalist, nor have any pretense

that you are, to heed Monica’s rule “don’t do it!”   If you want a reputation for objectivity, you

must be staunchly independent.   Disc jockeys weren’t journalists when they created the payola

scandals of the ’50s and ’60s.

tiny check Many Americans are lazy grasshoppers.  A recent study discussed in yesterday’s New York

Times shows that many of us use cellphones as phone books — never writing down information 

for contacting people in any other place.  (NYT, “Think of a Number … Come On, Think!,”

March 10, 2005)  This means, oh-my-god!, that losing a cellphone becomes a social catastrophe. 

It also means — thanks to speed-dialing — that many of us have not bothered to memorize anyone’s

phone number for a long time.  Since loss of memory comes with my chronic illness and my advancing

age, but can be staved off by exercising my brain’s memory cells, I’m pleased to say that I have not

speed-dialed anyone in at least 8 years.  Like those worker-ants, we techno-retros have our memory

cupboards well-stocked, while the grasshoppers fiddle away their capacity to produce important

numbers as needed.

tiny check Don’t miss Walter Olson’s coverage of an Illinois lawyer who ended up suing himself.

tiny check  Martin Grace has an explanatory post on the new Texas Medmal study.  Ted Frank ofers a very   “rx”

different perspective here.

tiny check  If anyone needs further proof that George Wallace is the king of weblog punditry, please go

here.  Of course, some curmudgeons would say that many of our lawyer-Fool’s headlines deserve

expungement.

No Comments

Powered by WordPress