f/k/a archives . . . real opinions & real haiku

April 4, 2005

footsteps and epitaphs

Filed under: pre-06-2006 — David Giacalone @ 1:15 pm

Light footsteps on the bridge–

necks of drifting swans

just visible through mist

Spring clouds–

the thoroughbreds

nod through their breath

Shoots of new grass

over a crumbling tombstone

the faded epitaph

(Birch Prees Press, 2002)

the river’s back

within its banks —

her look of disappointment

[April 4, 2005]

potluck

tiny check  Yesterday, Professor Bainbridge chided the liberal elite who do not

agree with Steve and John Paul II that “truth” is decided in the salons

of the Vatican.  I predict that, during my lifetime and Steve’s, another Pope

will apologize to women and gays for the way the Church has treated them

over the millennia.

Remember my piece on podriahs from March 26?  A website called

Offshoring Digest liked it enough to place the entire posting within a black

frame on its “news ticker” page (haiku and all) — but, with only a hyperlink

to the original post, and no mention of this weblog or the author.  I do grant

a non-commercial Creative Commons license.  Offshoring Digest appears to

be commercial. Copyright aside, am I right to be irked that there’s no attribution?

update: April 7, 2005:  Rebecca Arcega, editor/writer of Offshoring

Digest responded right away to my message asking for attribution,

and I’m pleased to have the podriah posting at their site.

Bonus: flood haiku from two Honored Guests:

dinner party
glancing up from grace
to the flood mark on the wall

Peggy Lyles  from To Hear the Rain

flooded plain —
fence tops show which water
belongs to whom

— George Swede – The Heron’s Nest

1. David, I really liked your “river” haiku today!

Comment by Jason — April 4, 2005 @ 2:32 pm

2. David, I really liked your “river” haiku today!

Comment by Jason — April 4, 2005 @ 2:32 pm

3. “I predict that, during my lifetime and Steve’s, another Pope
    will apologize to women and gays for the way the Church has treated them
    over the millennia.”

If you mean that a Pope will apologize for acts of hate, then perhaps your prediction has some merit. But if you mean the Vatican will essentially communicate that homosexual behavior is not sinful, then your predicate is surely off the mark. Please clarify.

Comment by JR — April 4, 2005 @ 2:56 pm

4. “I predict that, during my lifetime and Steve’s, another Pope
    will apologize to women and gays for the way the Church has treated them
    over the millennia.”

Comment by JR — April 4, 2005 @ 2:56 pm

5. Hey, JR, you get opinions here for free.  Clarification is a “premium service.”  However, since you asked nice, I believe:

there will be apologies for belittling and shaming women and gays and for acts of hatred against them
    the apology toward women will include allowing ordination of women
    the apology toward gays will include acknowledging that sexual acts within a committed gay relationship (or marriage, where permitted) are not sinful
    Perhaps it will take your lifetime, and not mine, for one or more of these, young fellah.  The Spirit works in wondrous ways, so please do not expect me to engage in a debate on these matters.
    Bonus:  The celibacy requirement for priesthood will be abandoned.

Comment by David Giacalone — April 4, 2005 @ 4:06 pm

6. Hey, JR, you get opinions here for free.  Clarification is a “premium service.”  However, since you asked nice, I believe:

the apology toward women will include allowing ordination of women
    Bonus:  The celibacy requirement for priesthood will be abandoned.

Comment by David Giacalone — April 4, 2005 @ 4:06 pm

7. And since you answered nicely I promise not to debate. And because I am in a good mood I won’t even use emoticons!

I love it when I get the premium service for free.

Comment by JR — April 4, 2005 @ 10:35 pm

8. And since you answered nicely I promise not to debate. And because I am in a good mood I won’t even use emoticons!

I love it when I get the premium service for free.

Comment by JR — April 4, 2005 @ 10:35 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress