f/k/a archives . . . real opinions & real haiku

February 12, 2006

yes, prof. yabut can be quite weird

Filed under: Haiku or Senryu,viewpoint — David Giacalone @ 11:09 pm

Despite his stall-tactic promise earlier this week, it seems clear that Editor Giacalone is wimping out on his Weird-Tag duties. He was tagged by Ellen “Marie” Johns on Monday, February 6. As usual, it’s been left to yours truly, Prof. Yabut, to do the dirty work around here.

NoYabutsSN When you’ve been weird-tagged, you must do a Weird List on your website — a list of five habits you have, which you or others consider to be “weird.” You also have to name and link to five new taggees, and let them know (in comments or email) that they have been tagged. (Although some taggees pen long confessions and apologia, others — see poet Pris Campbell‘s quickie list — make them pithy as can be.)

Here are a few of my so-called weird habits:

1) Aging Up: When I wrote Aging Up: False IDs for the AARP Crowd, the idea that Baby Boomers would start wanting fake ID cards to “prove” they are older than their real age was meant to be a joke. However, it’s been at least a decade since anyone (under 80) said I looked a lot younger than my chronological age, and I miss that postiive reinforcement. So, these days, when I meet someone for the first time, I often suggest that I am already 60ish, instead of my actual 56. (This ploy has not had much success, to date, and I might start hinting that I’m 70. That should do it, for now.)

tiny check To enhance the believability of my claim, I like MagnifierWatchV

showing off my new Dakota pocketwatch, which has

a built-in magnifying glass.

2) Backseat Desire: There are quite a few foods with which I have a one-night-stand relationship: they never last overnight in my home — no matter how large their container or quantity. E.g., chocolate, peanut butter, ice cream, nuts. To remedy this problem, I have been forced to leave such non-perishable foods on the backseat (or in the trunk) of my car, in a detached garage. I then bring relatively small amounts inside with me for my snacking. (I’m proud to say that, in 2005, I only went out twice after midnight to get a second helping.)

sundaeG As for ice cream, for almost 30 years, for when I’m at home alone, I have purchased only pints (and, since eating three pints of Haagen-Daz one night in 1977, while awaiting dinner guests, I buy only one at a time). That has not prevented frequent freeze-burns on the tip of my tongue from rapid consumption. Sadly, I can no longer have peanut around at all; as a result, I often request a p&j sandwich when visiting friends around lunch time.

3) Dangerous Pizza: Virtually every time I consume a slice of “American” pizza, I get pizza burn — a blistering lesion caused when searing hot cheese meets the tender parts of your upper palate, often accompanied by a loosened piece of flesh that hangs down from the roof of your mouth. [click here for advice on kissing with pizza burn] Editor Giacalone, despite his ethnic background, has been unable to offer useful tips. (Confidentially, he has the same problem, along with his Italian Ice brain freeze issues.) It’s no wonder that real Italian pizza tends to be topped with grated cheeses, not mountains of the scalding melted stuff, like here in the USA.

tiny check Question for Walter Olson: Why don’t pizza sellers fear competition from MacDonald’s? Answer: here.

bullG

4) “Bloggie in the Window“: It’s certainly not the least bit weird, that I — like the other alter egos around here, and people of good taste in general — deplore use of the word “blog,”in the place of “weblog” or “web log.” Nonetheless, my Annoyer gene occasionally dominates my Professor and Grown-Up genes, and I find myself singing a ditty I call “Bloggie in the Window,” whenever Editor Giacalone has been spending too much time on his high horse. (haikuEsq will sometimes harmonize, using a screeching falsetto.) Coming soon: “I Fought the Blawg and the Blawg Won.”

5) Counselor-out-Law: Although I almost never tell anyone where to go, I have the uncontrollable urge to advise young (pre)adults to avoid law school at all costs. [see, e.g., 1L of a decision] This has gotten me into big trouble with many a senior-partner/suburban-soccer parent. Some of my best friends have insisted that I cease and desist (no restraining orders yet), leaving me to hand my business card to their offspring, with the URL for ethicalEsq‘s Archives.

prof yabut small You know, that’s my five, but I feel that I’ve scarcely gotten rolling. Nonetheless, I shall stifle myself, and hope that the Current Editor is duly grateful for my efforts.

Bonus: I really enjoy looking up words to see their etymology. Today, I learned that”weird” comes from the Old English word for “fate,” and was used to refer to the three Weird Sisters, the goddesses who controlled human destiny. Our meaning evolved, because the Sisters were often depicted as being odd-looking or scary.

Have you noticed how many otherwise smart and well-educated people misspell “weird”? There are over 5 million Google results for incorrect form “wierd.” They appear to be applying the “I Before E Except After C” Rule, without attending to its many corollaries and exceptions. Most of the offenders seem to be 20-something males — those young fellows who can only memorize the information needed to win at computer games. Don’t get me started.

New Taggees: Unlike certain taggers, I will not tag strangers or people I know on the web who seem, well, strange. Here are a few weblog colleagues, who I hope will not be unduly annoyed by being weird-tagged:

Caolyn Elefant of MyShingle

Martin F. Grace of RiskProf

George M. Wallace of Fool in the Forest and Declarations & Exclusions

erasingSF Walter Olson of Overlawyered.com and Point of Law [withdrawn by taggee]

erasingS Steve Bainbridge of Prof.Bainbridge.com and ProfB on Wine [withdrawn by taggee]

update (Feb. 15, 2006): New Taggees:

Steve Minor of the SW Virginia Law Blog

Nancy Stinson of Canton, Ohio’s award-winning Stark County Law Library Blog.

WOlson Taggee Reports (Feb. 15, 2006): Original Taggee Walter Olson has left a Comment pointing out that “I play the accordion and have admitted to as much on my website. I think that should count for the equivalent of five instances of weirdness all by itself.” Although I’m curious to learn a few of his other foibles, I shall accept his calculation that an accordian habit is equal to an entire Weird List. So, Walter is hereby untagged, and I’ve just tagged Steve Minor.

Steve Bainbridge of Prof.Bainbridge.com has also asked to be relieved of his duties, so I am passing the torch to the mysterious Nancy Stinson of the award-winning Stark County Law Library Blog.

p.s. At his weblog simply senryu, our in-house haiku poet, dagosan posts what often amounts to a confession of weirdness every day.

snowflake

the nightingale’s song
wonderfully strange…
spring’s first dawn

the love-crazed cat
strangely on edge
wanders off

going outside
everything is strange…
first inn of the year

Issa

translated by David G. Lanoue HideGoTree

1. Hi David, Thank you for the wierd tag, I think. I hope I can come up with some things that are not too embarrassing. Your first item made me laugh, though. A roomate of mine used to do the same thing, though she’d tell people she was 40. I used to get all kinds of questions about whether that was really her age or what it was like to live with a 40 year old. Carolyn

Comment by Carolyn Elefant — February 13, 2006 @ 12:47 am

2. Hi David, Thank you for the wierd tag, I think. I hope I can come up with some things that are not too embarrassing. Your first item made me laugh, though. A roomate of mine used to do the same thing, though she’d tell people she was 40. I used to get all kinds of questions about whether that was really her age or what it was like to live with a 40 year old. Carolyn

3. Well,that was a great read. Chuckling away here but as an ex-nurse I worry greatly about the state of your poor mouth having to suffer such extreme temperature fluctuations!!!
    Imagine “weird tagging” a complete stranger. It is not the done thing really!
    I see you have selected your 5 victims!!!I hope they all respond with as much enthusiasm as mine did. Berenice didn’t have much luck with her 5 bods so I thank you monsieur for your sportsmanship and consider us no longer strangers.

Comment by Ellen Johns — February 13, 2006 @ 5:24 am

4. Well,that was a great read. Chuckling away here but as an ex-nurse I worry greatly about the state of your poor mouth having to suffer such extreme temperature fluctuations!!!

5. Grazie, maestro professore Yabut,

Your tag is duly noted, and will be processed through appropriate channels at one or both of my weblogs. I daresay I would have an easier time of it had you asked me to list five attributes of myself that are not weird, rather than five that are, given that the latter far outnumber the former in my case.

Comment by George Wallace — February 13, 2006 @ 12:13 pm

6. Grazie, maestro professore Yabut,

7. Thank you to my Tagees, Carolyn and George, for being good sports. Having an alter ego reply can certainly help with the embarrassment factor. I’d suggest asking your children to help you prioritize your lists and separate out the one’s they would not want to find when Googling your name.

Thank you, Tagger Ellen, for reaching out and touching a strange stranger. Still stranger, but not strangers anymore. (By the way, do you go by “Ellen” or “Marie”?)

Comment by David Giacalone — February 13, 2006 @ 1:15 pm

8. Thank you to my Tagees, Carolyn and George, for being good sports. Having an alter ego reply can certainly help with the embarrassment factor. I’d suggest asking your children to help you prioritize your lists and separate out the one’s they would not want to find when Googling your name.

9. I play the accordion and have admitted to as much on my website. I think that should count for the equivalent of five instances of weirdness all by itself.

Comment by Walter Olson — February 14, 2006 @ 7:24 pm

10. I play the accordion and have admitted to as much on my website. I think that should count for the equivalent of five instances of weirdness all by itself.

Powered by WordPress