Occupy Boston: Building Alliances; Encuentro 5

0

Occupy Boston would not now exist if it were not for the support of a large number of often unnamed benefactors. ¬†We also benefit from relationships with supporting institutions and supporting groups at rather unsupportive instituitons. I’l mention the latter after¬†discussing with them their exposure. Strong among the supporting institutions is Encuentro 5. They have given us a place to meet, get warm, dry off, and blog. So as not to over tax their resources, our media group has become a tenant. They have a desk.

I’m forming a relationship with Tecschange: Technology for Social Change. People at Occupy Boston certainly know about it, but I don’t know if they know what TecsChange can actually provide. One occupier had her laptop stolen and asked TecsChange to get her a new one. TecsChange usually gets donations of used equipment and most of them are desktops. But at least one occupier has benefitted from having a relationship with them. I could have done a real repair on my laptop’s AC adaptor if I had been able to find their soldering iron. But my pliers1 disappeared along with my SLR2. So with Charlie’s pliers I could improve greatly on the wire and tape repairs I’ve been making.

1It was actually a multipurpose tool – an imitation of the famous Leatherman. it cost $30 and has much lower resale price, but it was worth much more in allowing my to repair my sleep gear. Being homeless has put me into a strange relationship with property. I don’t have a TV and don’t miss it, but if someone nabs my sleep gear on a cold night, I could die.

2It was a Canon Digital Rebel XTi. I had some hope it would help me become homeful. I also lost 3 Sigma lenses. The f/1.4 allowed me to do low light photography – i.e. police raids in the wee hours of the morning. It’s a thing, but I miss it.

previous:
Occupy Harvard: The Hood Responds to Lockdown
next:
Occupy DC: We shall not be moved.