Photography

My inspiration came from our Week 8 reading of A Saint in the City: Sufi Arts of Senegal by Allen and Mary Roberts. The discussion of the photo and representations of Sheikh Amadou Bamba was intriguing. Throughout the course, the readings that included descriptions of different talismans in parts of the Muslim World caught my attention. For Mourides, not only the singular photo of Bamba is believed to have talismanic properties, but paintings and recreations of the photo also have protective powers. While many portrayals of important religious figures are artistic and luxurious, Bamba appears ascetic and is barely recognizable. This highlights how little importance is given to material possessions in Muslim cultures like that of Senegal as well as the democratic aspects of the religion. Bamba is considered a saint, yet he is not put on a pedestal or draped in jewels. He is praised for his ascetic lifestyle.

While thinking about the representations of Sheikh Bamba, I came across an old polaroid photo of my friend who passed away last year. Our friendship was simple, thoughtful, and he protected me like a younger sister. As I thought more about the photo, I realized it had talismanic properties in a way. It encouraged me to pursue my passions, care for others, and it made me feel safe. Plus, it was such a good representation of Raul. Sitting on the floor of the store where he worked day in and day out, holding a puppy that had come in out of the rain, and wearing his typical raggedy T-shirt and jeans. Hard working, incredibly kind, and with little care for material possessions; while I am not a particularly religious person I do believe he still protects me. Raul was to me what Sheikh Bamba was to Senegalese Muslims.