Lead, Kindly Light

Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see The distant scene; One step enough for me.

Because He Lives

Filed under: Uncategorized — graingergirl at 8:41 pm on Sunday, April 4, 2010

Recently when I went to church, one of the things that the minister said right before prayer time was, “Now take some time to reflect on and thank God for the ways in which He is showing Himself to you today.”

And that got me thinking – of all the many ways in which God shows Himself to me every day.  To name a few, because of Jesus:

• I wake up in the morning and give thanks for the day He has given.
  • I see the new leaves coming out of tree branches and praise God for His beautiful work in creation.  My dear mom likes to say, “God is so rich that He can make all the leaves disappear every fall, because He’ll just make new ones grow back in the spring.”
  • I can confess to a forgiving God when my selfishness and pride take over (which happens many times a day, sadly)
  • There is freedom in my work because I know that my identity is not synonymous with my performance on the job, and the praise of my bosses–while nice–do not speak to my inherent self-worth.  In a strange way, I think that knowledge actually frees me to perform better than I otherwise would.
  • When I feel icky (as I had for the last three days due to severe seasonal allergies) I can always pray for help, and know that God is sovereign over everything — even my hypersensitive sinuses.  (I also stop and wonder sometimes whether Jesus had allergies)
  • I am reminded that every person has inherent worth, not because I say so, but because God says so.  So when I find it difficult to love someone, because of Jesus I am more inclined to remind myself, or ask God to kick me in the butt and remind me, that He loves them infinitely, so I should too (although admittedly, and sadly, sometimes it takes a long while for me to get to the asking part)
  • When I see bad things happen, I can mourn to a God who knows already and is also grieving the suffering and injustices of the world. And I can pray for Him to make things better, and trust that one day — for certain, in His good time — He will.
  • I know my future is secure in the hands of a mighty God.  I confess that I don’t always “feel” this, but deep down, I know it’s true, and it is comforting.

Those are just some of the thoughts that came to mind…

Comment by eka

4 April 2010 @ 9:39 pm

if we close to god.. I trust god will make our life more better and we always feel comfort and peace..

Comment by Bobby

4 May 2010 @ 11:24 pm

Isn’t it a wonderful thing that we have a god that we can communicate with on a daily basis, who loves us and understands everything. To think of the many that do not believe or know about these great blessings. It is sad.

Comment by Travis Bond

1 June 2010 @ 10:25 pm

Your blog has touched me. It’s refreshing to see things like this on the web and I hope you keep putting positive things like this into the world. The human mind it seems loves to focus on what we don’t have and your simple reminder to give thanks helps to get in touch with the infinite beauty that always surrounds us.
God Bless
Manifest Your desires

Comment by Simon

18 June 2010 @ 12:35 pm

Dear God,
Thank you for helping me get through this year. Its been one of the roughest so far and i definately couldn’t have made it without you. I appreciate everything you’ve helped me to overcome and all the joys you’ve given me over this last year. I love you.
Child

Comment by chanel

19 June 2010 @ 3:42 am

Thank you lots help at post time ~