Star Trek: The Next Generation – The Space Between #1

IDW Publishing is bringing Star Trek comics back to comic shops January 2007. This review is based on an uncorrected proof provided by Dan Taylor, editor of IDW’s Star Trek comics line. I’ll keep the review brief. It’s been more than a dozen years since the last time I pretended to review Star Trek comics (search rec.arts.startrek.reviews and rec.arts.startrek.current if you don’t believe me) and I’m certain that brief is better for everyone concerned.

The Space Between #1 Publisher: IDW Publishing
Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation
Issue: #1
Date: January 2007
Title: The Space Between: History Lesson
Writer: David Tischman
Artist: Casey Maloney
Colors: Leonard O’Grady
Letters: Robbie Robbins
Editor: Dan Taylor
Cover artist: Dennis Calero (Cover A)
Cover artist: Zach Howard (Cover RI-A and RI-B)
Stardate: 41590.8

Synopsis: The Enterprise arrives at Tigan for discussions with an isolationist society. Will Riker, Tasha Yar, and Data beam down to meet Chancellor Lomac and find a population hardwired for information, but no Lomac. While the away team tries to learn why there’s no record of anyone contacting the Federation, the Enterprise is hit by a massive gravimetric pulse fired from the planet’s surface. Pushed across the galaxy at near light speed, Picard and his crew must find a way to stop the ship and return to retrieve the away team.

The bottom line first: Everyone working on this comic clearly has an appreciation for Star Trek and I think Star Trek comics fans are in good hands.

The story by David Tischman has the feel of a Star Trek episode; a little mystery, a bit of banter between crewmembers, and suitable technobabble. The away team takes liberties with their hosts’ computer network. I would’ve shot them as soon as they laid hands on a terminal, but it took the Tigans several panels before they gunned down Riker and his pals. Tischman also throws in a few lines of dialogue that Star Trek fans will appreciate, and time travel. I always cringe when I read the T words in Trek lit, but they’re used sparingly in this issue. Oh, and Klingons can do math. Who knew?

Casey Maloney’s art looks more like animation than traditional comic art. I think the folks who cut their teeth on DC’s Star Trek comic art may complain, but new styles and techniques are a good thing. And what’s up with Riker? In a couple of panels, he’s a dead ringer for Dr. Leonard McCoy. Does Maloney know something about Riker’s ancestry that we don’t? By the way, Tasha looks hot when she’s kicking ass.

Issue #1 may be the loudest Star Trek comic I’ve ever read. Visual sound effects for transporter beams NHHHNNNHHNNNNNNNHH, pulse weapons ZZZEEEHHHHH, ZZHHZZZAAAATT, EWWOOHHM, phasers HHWAAUUUGHHHHH, alarms EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, communicators SRREAK (or something similar), and the occcasional BOOOM, abound. Geordi even SNAPs his fingers at a eureka moment. Made my eyes ring.

Riker or McCoy?
Will Riker, McCoy’s great-grand lovechild?

And that’s about it. This issue will have four different covers: two art covers, a sketch cover and a photo cover. Run down to your local comics shop and demand a copy. Due out late January 2007.

1. Bernard

January 2, 2007 @ 12:13 pm

1

I’m looking forward to this one ever since I heard about it. I’ve already told the comic store to reserve me two copies. I’ll probably get another copy just for reading! I’d like to see what they have in store after the miniseries

2. Sheepy

January 19, 2007 @ 9:56 pm

2

Cover looks great, interior looks like crap.

3. good reader gone bad » Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Space Between #2

February 17, 2007 @ 5:56 pm

3

[…] Now that the first issue of IDW Publishing’s Star Trek: The Next Generation mini-series has disappeared from shelves at local comic shops and the second issue is about to arrive, I’d like to add some followup commentary to my review of issue #1. […]

4. jonny12

February 19, 2007 @ 7:30 pm

4

jonny8

5. bobby

March 28, 2007 @ 10:46 am

5

“Cover looks great, interior looks like crap.”
    Why – this is the original drawing!?