Special Education Parent Advisory Councils

Are you a member of your district’s Special Education Parent Advisory Council?

Per Massachusetts General Laws, M.G.L. c. 71B, 3

“The school committee of any city, town, or school district shall establish a parent advisory council on special education. Membership shall be offered to all parents of children with disabilities and other interested parties. The parent advisory council duties shall include but not be limited to: advising the school committee on matters that pertain to the education and safety of students with disabilities; meeting regularly with school officials to participate in the planning, development, and evaluation of the school committee’s special education programs. The parent advisory council shall establish by-laws regarding officers and operational procedures. In the course of its duties under this section, the parent advisory council shall receive assistance from the school committee without charge, upon reasonable notice, and subject to the availability of staff and resources.”

To see if your district has a Parent Advisory Council, check: http://www.concordspedpac.org/Pacs-in-Mass.html or call your district’s office of Pupil Services. There might also be a link to your district’s PAC from the Office of Pupil Services Web site.

Leave a Reply