A blast from the Atari Past

I was talking with a friend of mine about classic video games and he brought up E.T. (I date myself by uttering that game) as being one of the ‘worst games ever’. Considering I actually derived some entertainment and PLAYED E.T. and made progress on it I disagreed.

I found one of the most opaque and probably lousy games was the SwordQuest series from Atari. I could not figure out how to do ANYTHING in the game. I mean I ran around and did stuff but progress? Nope. I really liked the comic idea story tied in with the game however the actual game itself really stunk. However, on that note I decided to poke around for the old game and found this site tribute. What a blast from the past. Maybe after a couple of decades I can finally understand how the game was supposed to be played.

1. Greg | September 29, 2003 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I agree all around… ET is damned for one major flaw; IIRC all those pits you’d fall endlessly into. Other than that, it was one of the earliest games (IIRC again)that had secondary goals: get from point A to point B, collect stuff, go to point C and use that stuff. Which was a big improvement from the linear play of just about everything else at the time. Glad I’m not the only one who enjoyed it.

And those Swordquest games… I think I was 10 or younger when those came out and I fell for the hype hook, line and sinker. I was mesmerized by the thought of winning a jewel-encrusted sword… I *tortured* myself with those games. Pure childhood trauma. I oughta sue whoever holds all the Atari IP. 😉

2. Alain Hoang | September 30, 2003 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Oh wow those pits. I think at one point I had gotten Pit Zen and was able to get out of those rather easily. Too bad it was as easy to fall out of Pit Zen as it was to fall into those holes.
    Another quest based game was Raiders of the Lost Ark. That one was fun. I always wanted more bullets…

As for suing Atari… naa I just want them to gather the last comic book writers to write the Airworld comic. And yeah I agree that jewel-encrusted sword was awfully tempting.

3. Katrina | April 29, 2006 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Very nice website with a lot of informative response from members