Happy Birthday WWW!

September 20th, 2017

Last month, I heard about bitcoin for the first time in my life. I was awestruck by the idea of a currency that was completely online and never passed the threshold into a physical currency that a person could hold in their hands. It was interesting to talk about how bitcoin works and how money is minted and then to also discuss how blockchain works. The way that I understood it is that blockchain is a way of trading things, but the item itself records what it has been traded for and leaves a trace of what transactions have occurred in order to keep its credibility. This is an interesting form of currency, cryptocurrency, that is gaining popularity day by day.

In one of the articles that we read, “Three Challenges for the web, according to its inventor”, it discussed how the world wide web began 28 years ago, and how in many ways it was living up to its purpose of being a place to share information and collaborate. It did raise a few points of improvement which I found intriguing and personally relatable. The main points were that we don’t have control of our personal data, misinformation spreads like wildfire on the web and lastly, that there needs to be some type of change in political advertising that doesn’t give users such one sided information. I can relate to the first point because I know that whenever I accept a hundreds long page of terms and conditions I am giving up some degree of privacy in terms of my data being shared. It’s not like I can decide what to share. Just as the idea of “all or none” suggests, I can either give up my privacy rights or not use the application at all. It is hard to give up the opportunity to use an application in the name of security, and most people don’t, but the option to do so would be nice. To the second point, the lack of true information that circulates the internet is so common that people commonly talk about it by saying, “Don’t trust everything you hear on the Internet.” Also, the concept of “Fake News” is very prevalent in society today. So many people have the power of publication in their hands and it changes everything. No longer is information that is put out there expected to be truthful. This makes it harder to know whether you’re getting good information or being lied to. Nowadays, when writing papers and finding sources, there are specific websites that check out the credibility of certain sources before students trustingly add them to their papers. Finally on the political front, a lot of people get their political information from social media, and now with so much polarization of information, voters tend to only see extremely polarized messages and it isn’t the best when it comes to helping voters to be educated about who and what issues they are voting for. I can see this in my life when talking to friends who are new voters and when I hear about some of the things they have heard in their news, it doesn’t always match up with what I’ve heard. These kind of discrepancies and campaigning online that twist stories to make a stronger point is not the best way to keep society educated and ready to vote on the important issues. Now that the basics of the Internet are well established, we can all set out to make the Internet a better place.

One Response to “Happy Birthday WWW!”

1. Mike Smith Says:

I love your confident call to action, and I believe that your generation is going to help solve the issues you discuss. I’ll mention a few additions to your points that you might consider as you move forward on these issues.

On terms and conditions, I personally think it might have been acceptable at one point to have this be a very binary issue. Software products weren’t an essential part of everyday life, and thus it was probably ok to say, “Use our software products under these conditions or don’t use them at all.” Today, the world is different. As consumers, we don’t have the same choice that society had 20 or more years ago. It would have been like asking people in the 1970s and 80s to accept unreasonable terms and conditions associated with their landline telephones or go without a landline telephone. A telephone in every house was viewed as a necessity in society then. Should we be made to accept the terms and conditions of our cable provider because it’s the only Internet provider available in our area? Or go without Internet access in this day? It might be nice if somehow we could distinguish between Internet/software products that truly are discretionary and those that are more mandatory, and have different standards for the terms and conditions of each.

The other thing that popped into my head while reading your post was the fact that the designers of the early Internet were quite excited about how much better the world was going to be when “[s]o many people have the power of publication in their hands ….” I agree with you: it did change everything, but not in entirely in the way the early designers hoped. Time to keep the good that came from this without continuing to incur the bad that the early designers missed.