More random trivia, Durban edition

June 28th, 2004 by MrLuxuryFashionGuru

1) For all its sophistication, Durban has yet to see fettucine catch on as *the* pasta.  And vermicelli is served virtually exclusively as a milky, Indian dessert.  Very strange.

2) Don’t talk about taking a “taxi” here in Durban, say “metered cab”.  Taxis, and even “cabs” refer to these 12-seater-turned-16-seater minivans that ply the roads taking passengers, kind of like private buses (and equally cheap).  Ever taken sharp bends going at 140km/hr (what is that in mi/hr?)?  While the driver counts out coins to give change?  Want to?  Well, get on a Durban taxi.  I have, and survived to tell the tale (being wedged soldily against other people is a great way to avoid being flung about).

3) The mega-malls here are awesome in scale (6-storey free-standing climbing walls, anyone?), and opulence (live concert pianists??), but the shopping is unfortunately lacklustre (unless you’re shopping for home furnishings, because that is another story altogether).

8 Responses to “More random trivia, Durban edition”

1. malls shopping Says:

Hello, I was just reading your post; On The Move… » Blog Archive » More random trivia, Durban edition. I don’t know if you have seen it or any of your readers but there is a new free shopping application that makes it easy to find the best internet price on any item. I got it last Monday for free and it still is I am sure.

2. Kredit schufafrei Says:

I searched in Google for buses and I found your blog 🙂 Great blog, Respect!

3. Ian fergusopn Says:

Thanks for taking the time to debate this, I feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If possible, as you gain experience, would you mind updating your weblog with extra data? This can be very helpful for me.

4. Andrew Simpson Says:

My neighbor and I were just debating this specific subject, he is normally searching for to prove me incorrect. Your view on that is nice and precisely how I really feel. I simply now mailed him this website online to indicate him your personal view. After looking over your website I ebook marked and will likely be coming back to learn your new posts!

5. BlackmoresChlorophyll Says:

Your style is so unique compared to many other people. Thank you for publishing when you have the opportunity,Guess I will just make this bookmarked. 2

6. Autóalkatrész Bolt Says:

Blogs ou should be reading……

[…]Here is a Great Blog You Might Find Interesting that we Encourage You[…]…

7. Cash Zip Nada Zilch Says:

In other words, through rich, digital means of “complexifying” learning such as blogging—at its best collaborative, reflective, and emergent authoring and creation—learners cannot and should not be zombies. And neither should we.

8. Frank Fritz Says:

Ola! Blogs,
    This might be off topic, however, What is “Trivia” and where did it originate? The first recorded use of the word “trivial” in English occurred around 1589. “Trivium” was used in reference to the study of the Liberal Arts, and indicated “insignificance” in that certain facts were considered to be “only of interest to graduate students.” Gradually, “trivia” came to mean any information that is of little or fleeting importance and of general interest.
    Great Job!