Two weeks in situ

June 11th, 2005 by MrLuxuryFashionGuru

Happy discoveries:

– Bendick’s bittermints! Real peppermint oil and 92% cocoa chocolate!

– Lindt dark chocolate with hazelnuts! (Normally you can only get hazelnuts with milk chocolate.)

Taken at about 8pm just outside the restaurant Cantina Del Ponte where we had dinner along the Thames.Tower Bridge at Sunset (10 Jun 2005)“>

“> 

Taken at about 11pm after dinner.  Notice the crescent moon in the sky.  Aren’t we blessed?Tower Bridge by Night (10 Jun 2005)“>

“> 

Last night I went to dinner with Laurel and practically all of the Singaporean King’s College medics (and their attendant significant others) at a lovely restaurant along the Thames.  Afterwards some of us went to see Mr & Mrs Smith (very commercial, very entertaining).  It’s nice to be able to step into a ready-made community as familiar and comfortable as this; I’ll kind of miss them when everyone leaves.  And what can beat having a ready panel of people to answer my biophysiopsychochemical questions?  🙂 

Can you believe it’s already been two weeks??

To market, to market!  The crowds are often said to be very bad on a Saturday, but despite the glorious shopping weather, I found Portobello Market considerably less crowded than Chatuchak Weekend Market in Bangkok or a pasar malam in Singapore.Portobello Road Sign (11 Jun 2005) 

“> 

Today I went to Portobello market and had a great time walking around, poking through the stores and investigating their wares.  I got a Brioni blazer, a pair of Victorian mother-of-pearl opera glasses, postcards, and three scarves. 

A fairly typical street scene at Portobello Market during the weekend.  This is one of the little side streets just off Portobello Road.  The whole area is filled with interesting, sometimes warren-like antique shops, cafés and boutiques with lots of character and fascinating merchandise, and the market stalls along the street sell everything from antique scientific instruments worth thousands of pounds to fresh flowers and the sort of trinkets you would find along Ladies Street in Hong Kong.Portobello Market Street Scene (11 Jun 2005) 

“> 

And of course Portobello Market is an produce market as well, so there’s a lovely stretch of stalls selling fresh vegetables, luscious fruits and fragrant bunches of seasonal blooms.Portobello Market Fruit Stall (11 Jun 2005) 

“> 

For lunch I had a serving of Singapore noodles (heh, but it was so tasty!), and some lusciously sweet English strawberries (just one pound for a hefty punnet!).  Fun times.

9 Responses to “Two weeks in situ”

1. The Scribe of Rotten Hill Says:

Glad you enjoyed Portobello market. I live near there and it’s where I get pretty much everything that I eat (although being a vegetarian helps).

A good tip is to wait till the end of the day, say, after 4pm, where boxes and bowls of just about everything can be had for a pound. Honestly, I can, well, could if I wanted to, feed myself for 15 quid a week just from the market!

2. Shopping Street Says:

I got to your blog via Google while searching for shopping street on Sunday and your post regarding On The Move… » Blog Archive » Two weeks in situ looks very interesting to me. I just wanted to say that the quality of your site is exceptional. On top of all that it really complements the content that is provided by your site.

3. Epic Traffic System Says:

Thanks because of this! I’ve been searching all more than the web for that details.

4. Melatonin Side Effects  Says:

i love the smell of fresh flowers, they can really make my day so beautiful~’.

5. dfgfgf Says:

I’ve been studying your entries during my morning break, and I must admit the whole article has been very enlightening and very well written. I thought I’d help you understand that for some explanation why this blog does now not view smartly in Web Explorer 8. I desire Microsoft may stop changing their software. I’ve a question for you. Might you thoughts exchanging weblog roll links? That would be in point of fact neat!

6. furniture store in charlotte Says:

Could you message me with some tips about how you forced your blog glance it amazing, I will be definetely appreciative.

7. Roi Unlimited Review Says:

Goodmorning, I was searching for some ideas for the lay out of my new web page and found your site through Bing. I am a manufacturer of golf bags in Tacoma,Washington and a second office in Cairo,Egypt. I want to say excellent work done with the great layout of your website. This has for sure given me some ideas to explore further. Many thanks and I hope to read some more of your posts in the future.

8. Under Scrutiny - Swift Solutions Of Weight Loss Says:

There is, of program, one particular last theory on why exhibitors have been shying away from trade display models. At the 2006 E3, Disney was there presenting the movie sport tie in for their Pixar animated characteristic Vehicles. There in between close to-life-size good examples of the film’s star automobiles was, you guessed it, a trade display design. The product in query was decked out from head to toe in skintight black jumpsuit, complete with plunging neckline and a checkered-flag racking stripe working up her sides, and covering just enough to demonstrate that Disney could perform by the new E3 guidelines. Perhaps the planet at huge observed Disney’s show as truly jumping the shark and everybody simply moved on.

9. Debora Cheshier Says:

Love the layout of the site. Looks like a theme I’m using.