Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World

Over the weekend, I finally read Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter. On my reading list for years, it was worth the wait. Not only does Vicki cover the life of Dewey Readmore Books, the official cat of the Spencer, Iowa, public library, but she also discusses her career as a librarian and life as the librarian of a small, Midwestern town. The book is as much about this public library and its role in a community changing with economic times as it is about how a cat brings people together.

I hope I’ve also captured something else: the magic of libraries. Libraries aren’t warehouses for books; they are meeting houses for human beings. A good library is less an institution than a home. It has comfortable seats, desks, computers, friendly people and, yes, sometimes even a cat. Libraries are society’s great leveling agent: they offer job listings, financial information, technology, entertainment, any book you want. For free. I hate it when people tip-toe through a library. “This isn’t a graveyard,” I want to shout. “It’s alive. So live a little!”

I was lucky to come across the book while browsing a branch of my local public library.

If you’ve been following this blog for years and years, you might recall a post from back in 2006 marking Dewey’s passing. It looks like a second book with Dewey stories exists, too: Dewey’s Nine Lives.