Goodbye, World!

Harvard emailed me to let me know they will no longer host j’s scratchpad in August because of changes they are making to their blog platform. Among other things, administration is moving away from the Berkman Klein Center to the more centralized Harvard IT office. My past affiliation with Berkman Klein and running the blog group and inspiring lots of Harvard bloggers does not matter to them.

It has been a fun 15 year run.

As of this point, I don’t plan to reincarnate it anywhere.

Even though I certainly don’t post as often and actively as I used to, I still enjoy the occasional contributions I can make.

It is sad this resource is coming to an end. I’ve heard from some of you that you still find value in some of the older posts and whatnot.

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Addendum 8/8: A nice retrospective is at: .

I used WordPress’ export tool tonight. The export ran very briefly (a few minutes?). I thought “No way that’s everything.” While spot checking, it looks ok. The file is 4368 pages long.

I just finished a Mari Kondo book about tidying. While the blog brought me lots of joy years ago, lately, I can’t say I associate it with such joy on the same level. Harvard’s change is forcing me to move on in ways that aren’t all bad. I will miss the blog. I will miss the platform where I wrote professionally for many years and having the archives of the posts at my fingertips. I will miss all the people I met because of blogging and running the blog group. I appreciate and cherish all the things I learned, connections I made, opportunities I had, etc., because of my coworker bringing someone to my office who was looking for people to partake of his experiment. The retrospective Berkman Klein posted indicates the “experiment” is still going very, very strong. It sounds like it has finally, officially transitioned from something that might have been temporary to a real IT resource with a permanent home. I’m glad to have had the opportunity to be involved in that from the beginning.