October 24th

I think the discussion we had today was aptly timed due to the final countdown we are in to the General Election on November 8th, the scariest election in the history of the United States (in my personal opinion, of course). While a future with electronic voting is not how I foresee the Internet affecting politics in the near future, the Internet’s effect on the political system in other ways is obviously extremely prevalent. We spent an adequate amount of time discussing the potential effects of Facebook on voter’s opinions, which the article says could be about 1.43 percentage points according to the study done in 2012. 1.43 percentage points and the presidential history of the last twelve years would look much different than it does today. I’m not afraid to admit that this makes me uncomfortable. While obviously the advent of the Internet has affected many things in today’s society, its effect on politics is perhaps the most thought-provoking. It scares me because I’m unsure at what point in technological progress, the US Constitution will stop being able to govern the US. In history classes throughout my life, I’ve admired the Constitution and how the “necessary and proper clause” was so adequately placed by the Framers so that the Constitution would be able to endure progress and change in America. Thus far, the Constitution has proven itself worthy and it has remained as governing piece of writing for our country. However, as I left discussion today, I couldn’t help but wonder how much longer it can continue. We now don’t just live in different times than the Framers were writing the Constitution for, we live in radically different times. The Framers didn’t know that one day Facebook would have the power to potentially sway the votes of its 1 billion plus users.  Can the Internet and technology perhaps create the need for a new form of government? Honestly, with how this presidential election is unfolding, I’m unsure. I have started to lose faith in the system that I was taught to honor and participate in for the past 18 years of my life. So again I pose the question, is it time for something new?

I think the time for something new may prove itself if Donald Trump is elected. Obviously, I have opinions of my own, but I think everyone already knew this blog was extremely subjective anyway.

2 Responses

1. Don’t lose faith! I think you’ve asked some fantastic questions and ones I can’t answer. You might direct some of your questions to our local experts. See

http://declaration.fas.harvard.edu/home

If you get some answers, I’d love to know what you learn. You might even get them to start a new research thread!

Mike Smith - October 25th, 2016 at 9:34 pm
  2. Hey Julia! I too think the idea of Facebook influencing elections is scary. But past elections also seem to have been decided in poor ways. For example, in the election of 1960, Nixon supporters complained that JFK won because he was better looking. While this certainly smells of sour grapes, I would be surprised if the halo effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect) did not contribute to Kennedy’s success. Kennedy’s attractiveness causing him to win the most powerful political position in the world seems pretty scary too. Is this new iteration of internet manipulation just another thing to be scared of in our electoral process? Or does it mark the beginning of something completely different?

duncanryoo - October 30th, 2016 at 12:38 pm