Nomar Garciaparra’s Nationality

Since a good number of visitors to this blog actually get here trying to find out what Nomar Garciaparra’s nationality is, it seems appropriate to just give people what they want, just this once. Though I guess Google and other search engines send people here because of this piece I wrote earlier this year on Latin America and baseball.

Nomar is an uncommon name. Certainly a lot less common than Ramon, which is Nomar backwards. Nomar Garciaparra may be the only Nomar around. Nomar is actually his middle name — his first name is Anthony.

Nomar was born in Whittier, California and grew up in Southern California. He is of Mexican-American descent. He attended Georgia Tech where he excelled in baseball. Here is Nomar’s official Red Sox bio.

With the Red Sox in the playoffs and on national television, the number of Google entries for Nomar + Garciaparra + Nationality have gone through the roof. Fascinating to see how many baseball viewers are interested in Nomar’s origins.

1. Martha Lees

October 13, 2003 @ 1:17 pm

1

OK, so you got this Google-addicted, Brookline-bred, HLS alum’s number. Well, what about Johnny Damon? Native American? He’s got to be some kind of indigenous, no? Unless he’s “Black Irish.” Do let us know!!!!!

2. Ethan Zuckerman

October 17, 2003 @ 2:01 pm

2

The real question most Red Sox fans want an answer to today: “What’s Grady Little’s home phone number?”

3. dublin

October 28, 2003 @ 5:23 pm

3

yes, but what about Derek Lowe’s nationality?
    (and if Nomar was born in Whittier, doesn’t that make him American. gee whiz …)

4. Patti C.

December 30, 2003 @ 4:49 am

4

OK I was directed to your site because we are having a discussion on the Red Sox forum about Nomar’s “origins”. I am quite sure that Nomar is Italian-American. Could you please let me know how you know he’s Mexican-American? Thanks. 🙂

5. George

June 9, 2004 @ 12:43 am

5

Nomar has a combination of African-American, Mexican, Japanese, and Aboriginie blood. As his former pediatrician in Whittier, I should know this.

6. Serafin Herrera

August 3, 2004 @ 7:52 pm

6

I think i got this all figured out. Mexican-American is Nomar’s ethnicity & American is his nationality but where in Mexico are his parents from for the curiosity of other Mexican-Americans. For the record not all Mexican-Americans are native indian, we are all from some part of Europe at some point.

7. Liza

October 19, 2004 @ 12:38 am

7

I was wondering what is Johnny Damon?

8. Josh

October 22, 2004 @ 12:08 am

8

Johnny Damon has a white father and a Thai mother

9. Irma

October 26, 2004 @ 12:24 am

9

Is Johnnny Damon Native American????. That is all I want to know!! because he does has some native american features. I am young indian girl that likes baeball., and all I want to know if he is Native Indian.

10. Albuquerque hotels

February 13, 2006 @ 6:19 pm

10

Albuquerque hotels