Are Blogs . . . News?

In case anyone was wondering why I am posting to other blogs rather than solely to media articles. . . .

I am enrolled in a course entitled “Cyber One“, which explores argument and the ‘court of public opinion’ through new technologies. This week my project was on blogs and journalism. We explored how the internet, especially blogs, has changed the nature f journalism in some respects. Personal blogs can gain wide attention without the need for working capitol and a corporate structure present in most professional media outlets. Does this change the nature of journalism? Are personal bloggers somehow less qualified – or indeed more objective than professionals? Are the channels of popularity that allow something to gain attention on the internet a valid replacement for professional training and editing?

It could very well be that the kinds of stories we need to see – about corporate complicity with censorship in China or waterboarding – are the kinds that the main media outlets will not present.

This has made me rethink my strategy on posting only stories published by professional news outlets. Not everything I post has been, strictly speaking, “news”. Many of the stories I quote are largely the opinions and experiences of the journalist in question. The experiences and thoughts of those in the blogosphere are not per se less valid. Therefore, when one is particularly topical, thought-provoking, or well-written, I will be including it.

I will continue to focus primarily on professional outlets, because the object of this blog is not just to collect newsworthy and topical pieces. It is also to keep tabs on the amount of media attention that the childfree are receiving. Therefore, I may well include articles that are no better than blog entries I exclude.

I apologize for the off-topic posting, and I certainly will not allow this post to live indefinitely in the archives of this site. However, I would like to give any of our regular readers a chance to respond. After all, if you are only coming here to gauge media attention or to keep abreast of actual news, this shift in policy might well be something that detracts from our usefulness. If this is the case for many of you, I am amenable to rethinking it. However, it is also likely that you all saw that this was not a posting of groundbreaking news, and already moved on.

My aim is certainly to remain unique, and not to become another blog that simply reflects my own thoughts – there are many quality sites out there already doing that. Of the times I do depart from posting media stories, it will only be to refer to posts that in some way deal with wider national and international issues facing the childfree. After all, the lack of such a site is what inspired a busy law student to take on such a project in the first place.

Thank you.