Blog Wisdom on The Web and Wesley Clark

Wesley Clark’s leap into the presidential race reminds me of the astute Gary Hart’s observation years ago: don’t look for the effect political “events” will have; events are the effectWhat the Clark candidacy confirms to me, beyond President Bush’s vulnerability, is that the Internet has rewritten all the rules of the nomination game, in ways yet to be explained.  Just note as we try to figure them out that all the gab and grassroots action at the moment is around two Democrats far from the Beltway and the Congress, both straightforward dissenters on the Iraq war, both thriving on Internet money and buzz, both counting absolutely on blogger enthusiasm.  So I made the rounds today among some of the wiseguys of the Blogosphere, asking about the bloggability of Wesley Clark and the state of the 2004 campaign.  Here they are: 

Joe Conason of the best-selling Big Lies and a new Salon blog, in New York. 

Ed Cone of Word Up in Greensboro, North Carolina. 

Doc Searls, who’s blogging on shipboard off Sitka, Alaska and who’s had his pic on my page. 

And Josh Marshall of Talking Points in the nation’s capital.