The Robert Lowell Revival: Diana Der Hovanessian

Diana Der Hovanessian is a preeminent translator and advocate of Armenian poetry and herself a peculiarly affecting poet who brings a forgiving touch to unspeakable memory.  “I write poetry because I can’t sing,” she says with a husky laugh.  Like Elizabeth Bishop, she is a child of Worcester, Massachusetts.  “A slight woman with flowing hair and penetrating amber-brown eyes, Der Hovanessian carries her complicated heritage lightly but seriously,” Sally Cragin wrote insightfully.  “For Armenians, all aspects of the culture are to be examined as well as embraced — even the unspeakable pain of genocide and subsequent massacres.”  When I asked Diana to read from the new Collected Poems of Robert Lowell, she asked if she might speak first of Lowell the teacher, who had selected her for one of his last seminars at Harvard.  “He didn’t mumble!” she said, correcting the great Helen Vendler.  “He gave us permission,” Diana said.  For translators it was the same permission he’d given himself to be free with the original, “to make the best possible poem… He gave us permission to be political, … to be experimental, … to be free, and to use forms!”  The Lowell poems Diana chose to read are: “Florence,” “Middle Age,” “Theodore Roethke,” “Robert Frost,” “Memories of West Street and Lepke,” and “For Eugene McCarthy.”  Each one, in her delivery and comments, becomes a reflection of both writer and reader.  Listen up, please.

1. Anonymous | October 23, 2003 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Chris,

I would like to do telephone interviews like you do. I can’t figure out how to do it. How can I get set up to do telephone interview recordings? What software and modem recommendations do you have for us?

Doug Kenline
    Atlanta, Georgia

2. Anonymous | October 25, 2003 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

mediocre poetry, but some good conversation. i’d like to see some more international bloggers (besides andrew sullivan). even though the poet was apparently Armenian, she was so obviously American. let us see if we can’t do better than that in the future.

3. Anonymous | January 5, 2005 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

scoping services

4. RickVallen | March 13, 2009 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Nice post and blog
    Thanks for sharing

5. Curar Hemorroides | June 25, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Sus poemas me tocan profundamente. Sus traducciones tienen todo el poder del texto original

6. Free Xbox Live Gold Membership | July 9, 2010 at 11:17 am | Permalink

This is a nice article good to see people conducting interviews like this. Its really a nice post.

7. Shed Plans | July 9, 2010 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Its good to have interviews like this as people can know much about their idols. nice to see a post like this.

8. Hack Hotmail Passwor | July 31, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Nice post. Its good to know about people like this. Nice way to conduct interviews.

9. Smith Scott | August 2, 2010 at 3:59 am | Permalink

The New England Poetry Club (founded by Amy Lowell and Robert Frost for professional- Hack Facebook Password

10. Daneil | August 2, 2010 at 4:04 am | Permalink

Nice One. Nice way of conducting intervews of such great personalities. – Hack Hotmail Password

11. TheAbWorkoutsHelpers | November 5, 2010 at 2:49 am | Permalink

Great Interview. You’ve opened my eyes to what is out there – this is something I’ve never really thought of.. Armenian poetry sounds quite intriguing. I’ll try and track down some of her original works and get one of my Armenian friends to translate them for me.

12. meubles de cuisine | November 18, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

meuble salle de bain

13. Get Ready Fit | February 23, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Great website, really good work you’re doing here.

14. seo firmasi | February 27, 2011 at 6:16 am | Permalink

seo ve seo firması

15. Yamaha Waverunners | March 16, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot for this great post; this is the type of thing that keeps me motivated throughout my day. I have been looking around for your site when I heard about them from a colleague and was happy after I found it after searching for some time. Being a blogger myself, I am pleased to see others taking initiative and adding to the community. I wanted to show my gratitude for your work as it’s very encouraging, and many writers do not get the acknowledgment they deserve. I know I’ll come back to read more and will spread the word to my friends.

16. The Penthouse | April 5, 2011 at 1:47 am | Permalink

Armenian poetry sounds quite intriguing.

Thank You
    Scott

17. Mercado de Divisas | April 8, 2011 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Exccellent, thanks. Great post, thanks for sharing, it is very good for me. Mercado de Divisas

18. backyard shed plans | April 19, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Great website with some really valuable information, I simply love your writing style. Thanks a lot for your efforts and please keep the good work up.

19. dizi | May 15, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

20. haberler | May 16, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Armenian, she was so obviously American. let us see if we can’t do better than that in the future

21. rengade motorhomes | June 2, 2011 at 4:17 am | Permalink

Right now it appears like Drupal is the best blogging platform out there right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

22. Penthouse Magazine | June 8, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Now that is so true, Cookbooks & Easy Recipes

23. Travels | August 3, 2011 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Great post, I conceive website owners should acquire a lot from this web blog its real user genial . “You don’t have to deserve your mother’s love. You have to deserve your father’s.” by Robert Frost.

24. funeral home marketing | August 5, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Hello, i believe that i saw you visited my web site so i came to “go back the want”.I’m attempting to find things to improve my site!I assume its adequate to use a few of your ideas!!

25. Adscend Media | August 6, 2011 at 7:28 am | Permalink

Very interesting points you have noted , appreciate it for putting up. “It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once.” by David Hume.

26. Roofing Contractors in Plymouth | August 6, 2011 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Exactly what I was searching for, thanks for posting . “If you can imagine it,You can achieve it.If you can dream it,You can become it.” by William Arthur Ward.

27. printable coupons | August 7, 2011 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Good web site! I really love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I’m wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your RSS which must do the trick! Have a nice day! “A rut is a grave with the ends knocked out.” by Laurence J. Peter.

28. Your Ultimate Internet Traffic Guide | August 28, 2011 at 2:12 am | Permalink

I like this weblog its a master peace ! Glad I detected this on google. “The definition of a beautiful woman is one who loves me.” by Sloan Wilson.

29. buy isagenix 9 day | August 28, 2011 at 7:10 am | Permalink

I think this is among the such a lot important info for me. And i am happy studying your article. But wanna observation on few general things, The site style is ideal, the articles is in reality nice :D. Just right job, cheers.

30. business list | August 29, 2011 at 1:45 am | Permalink

Its such as you read my mind! You appear to know a lot approximately this, like you wrote the e-book in it or something. I believe that you simply can do with some % to drive the message home a bit, however instead of that, this is great blog. A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.

31. Six Figure Program Review | September 3, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Respect to op , some superb selective information . “Consider that this day ne’er dawns again.” by Alighieri Dante.

32. jokes | October 9, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

33. Perry Contreas | January 29, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

An incredibly nice blog you could have here. I like your typing style and it’s very informative posts, I shall come back here again!

34. Herbalife | February 1, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

You really have a knack for wonderful interviews!

35. xps converter | February 7, 2012 at 3:58 am | Permalink

people like to speak here for interests

36. John Smith | March 18, 2012 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Hi, nice site