Conference of Birds

This piece depicts the birds that best describe my personality, from The Conference of Birds.  While I was reading the poem, I saw a bit of myself in the nightingale, the parrot and the hawk.  The nightingale, on the right, was obsessed with passionate love, so much so that he forgot about everything else.  At times, I find myself not focused on the task at hand because I cannot stop thinking about what I love.  It can be challenging to put love in perspective and realize that it can cause people to do crazy things.  As the Hoopoe told the nightingale, so too have I been “delusional with love and mocked by the rose.”  The parrot, in the middle, wanted to live forever, never passing on to the afterlife.  I can relate to this; on many occasions I have wished that a particular moment in time would never end.  Although it can be sad to see a memorable moment pass, it is important to remember the life that lies ahead holds many more unforgettable occasions than the life we live on Earth.  The Hawk, on the left, like the nightingale, focused his attention on people other than God.  Even though it is important to remain loyal to friends and family, it should not get in the way of praising God.  As the poem illustrates, God is not his own distinct entity but a part of everything, including each and every one of us.  This is represented through the birds’ reflections in the water.  Not only do the birds seem themselves, but they also see their reflections as part of God and the heavens. To treat God well does not just mean to be a good follower but must also incorporate acting towards one’s self as one would act toward God.