We Sinful Women

We Sinful WomenMuslim Poem

Originally reading the background of the authors and then their poems, it was clear feminists writings from women in the middle east are particularly moving given much of the oppression present in this region of the world. Having now read and discussed the significant impact of language, in particular, poetry in Islamic culture, the poems can be read as the highest form of argument through which the women writers present their point. I enjoyed many poems, especially “O God of Heaven and Earth” which I would have been happy to explore, however I settled on We Sinful Women because I felt it had the most feminist undertones and transcended time in a way that few pieces can. As a result, I felt the best way for me to deepen my understanding of the poem and how it could still apply today would be to attempt my own. Written more in the voice of a 21st century western woman, I felt as if the poem could easily be transcribed to any period with any group of woman that suffered from discrimination and inequality. Writing in this perspective was a unique experience for me and forced me to not only sympathize but empathize with women from both the middle-east and western society. Regardless of the problems encountered by women, there is a uniting factor that oppression carries which ultimately leads to its downfall. For this reason it is interesting to compare various works written by the oppressed and study how deeply seeded their resentment for dehumanization is and how easily it spreads and relates to those who share their circumstances.