Posted by: jaimegarciapulido | 2nd Aug, 2018

THREE-ACT PLAY

SCENE 1. MORNING.

Centenars of tourists rub the famously shiny foot of John Harvard statue. They smile, looking at the cámara for a couple of eternal seconds. Teens rub that foot, parents rub that foot. According to legend they will come back, sooner or later. This is how they pay tribute to the American Dream. As they leave with tears in their eyes, someone is smiling around. They will die in peace with the fairies and gnomes of higher education. This happens under the sunlight, here, in this remarkable place of my university.

SCENE 2. NIGHT.

Dozens of male Harvard students pee on the statue in spite of its significance. Urinating on the monument is a pristine attempt at self-affirmation. It says: “Not only do I am in Harvard, but I pee my warm, glorious, golden water on its abdomen, leg and foot as well.” According to legend some drunk girls pee on John.

SCENE 3. DAY AND NIGHT.

John Harvard’s stern gaze tells us he is a just bit tired. The clicks of the flashbulbs are not too much, but the smell of urine is too much for a statue committed to inspire profound emotions in many generations. He urgently asks to leave this monument. Nobody listens to silence. The golden, glorious, light green statue is here to stay. I write this looking for a bathroom.

Leave a response

Your response:

Categories