5 August 2004

I’ve liked Laura Bush for a reason….

BF, a friend of ours, and I have thought in the past about creating the “Gays who love Laura” fan club.  She’s wonderfully subversive of her husband’s administration sometimes….  When asked what party she belongs to, she’s been reported as saying, “I’m a Republican…by marriage.”

So here she is, talking about the news media:

First lady Laura Bush thinks the news media is increasingly filled with opinions instead of facts, and suggested Tuesday that journalists are contributing to the polarization of the country.

“I think there are a lot of reasons to be critical of the media in America,” she said in an interview Tuesday with Fox News Channel’s “The O’Reilly Factor.”

“I think that a lot of times the media sensationalize or magnify things that aren’t _that really shouldn’t be,” she said.

“I do think there’s a big move away from actual reporting, trying to report facts,” the first lady said. “It’s in newspapers and everything you read — that a lot more is opinion.”

When her interviewer suggested that journalists were out of sync with most of the country, she said with a laugh: “You just gave me a really great idea. Maybe it is the media that has us divided.”

From Pandagon.net.

More hereAnd here.

I found her reading and literature programs in the White House fantastic.  If we all read more, we’d be in less of a systemic political mess than we are now.