class action

Forwarded conversation
Subject: riaa
————————

Mr.Nesson

First, let me applaud you on your stance against the riaa. My daughter is a student at Case Western. She as also received a letter demanding $4100. before Jan. 19 or face legal action. Since the school did not fight the request and handed over the students i.p addresses. They have referred her to an attorney. When she contacted him he wanted $5000 for a retainer. 21 students received the letters, that’s over $100,000. My wife is an employee of the school which is the only way we could afford to send her there. I understand you cannot give legal advice,(I have spoken to Mr. Beckerman in N.Y). I can scrape together the $4100 to keep her out of court, Do you feel I will have any recourse to recover anything once you win your case and declare this witch-hunt unconstitutional ?

Good luck and stick it to those greedy !@$#@!

Dale English

———-
From: Charles Nesson
Date: Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 10:16 AM
To: dynamictool

joel is prepared to stand as a representative for the class of all on whom the oppression of the recording industry’s litigation campaign has fallen. i, together with my students, am prepared to represent him in that capacity, and thus to represent you. we are working on the preparation or our class action counterclaim as we speak.

——
when appropriate (in my judgment) to an open project and not sensitive (in my judgment) in terms of privacy, i may post email to my blog. all privacy requests respected.

1 Response to “class action”

• I am a lawyer with a grandson at the University of Tennessee facing the same situation. The answer to your question is “no.” If you pay, you will not get the money back. The entire RIAA lawyer scheme is designed to create a debt that is commensurate or smaller than the legal costs of defense, aside from the time and emotion involved of defending the claim. You either pay or go the route and if unsuccessful, put your daughter through bankruptcy. Again, $4100 gets it over with. Not an easy dilemma to resolve. Especially, since the scheme is not aimed at the student,who in most cases has no assets, but actually at the parent, who have no liability for the claim. Good luck.

Comments are currently closed.