Podcasts

I’m a recent convert to podcasts. I’m an avid proponent of newspapers as the best form of media and outside some of the more literate forms of radio, (and of course the Daily Show, which I KNOW is not actual news) I don’t dally all that much in forms of broadcast media. Recently, as a way to reconnect to my past, have a few laughs and theoretically make myself a smarter person I downloaded two podcasts from NPR. The first was “Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me!” which is the biggest throwback to my past. I used to listen to it in the car with my mother on weekends and it’s a great way to get the news and laughs at the same time. So, that went on my podcast list on iTunes. Next came “This American Life” which is produced by Chicago Public Radio and is a great feature-length story program that I have the personal imperative to listen to because I think it might make me smarter. Also, one of the contributors is Sarah Vowell, who is one of my favorite authors and someone I admire very much.
That was before. Listening to the 10/31 class, I was astounded at how easy podcasting could make my daily life. There’s not a day when I don’t spend at least five hours on my computer and having a five-minute update of the news from NPR is great. This may be one of my fads, but I think the whole idea of podcasts is an excellent idea. As a way to get ideas out, to make people smarter (which is needed by everyone in society), podcasts are almost better than forcing a New York Times on someone and saying “Read This!” So, go out there and listen. You may find something that you weren’t expecting and at a cost of generally no more than an hour a week, it’s a cheap price to pay for knowledge.

1. Barry

April 24, 2007 @ 9:35 am

1

It’s funny. I work for a well known cheap loans company in the UK. They have recently released two podcasts; one for the public and one for the employees. I don’t know what they were thinking of, but it is full of so much self gratification it wouldn’t look out of place in the entourage of Mariah Carey!

2. Reuben Mansell

December 20, 2007 @ 6:11 am

2

There is definitely a future for podcasting, the problem in the uk is that there are copyright laws so only 30 seconds of music can be played in a podcast legally, hopefully they will clear this soon so podcasting can really take off. We have a clear debt to Apple for bringing us the Ipod, it’s revolutionised the way we consume music!

3. John roberts

April 24, 2008 @ 5:00 pm

3

There are a few companies which specialise in making podcasts, and also even forms of advertising called “podvertising” now. It will be interesting to see how much of an impact podcasts really have, particularly on Radio. In the uk DAB radio hasnt really caught on, but will pod casting. I know a few accountants in st albans who listen to their ipods whilst preparing tax returns!! Crazy how we thought Ipod would just be for youth, but everyone seems to have one these days….even my grandma!!