lonelygirl15

Following last week’s class, I decided to do what probably everyone in the known world has done, explore the world that is lonelygirl15. We talked in class about whether or not it is unethical for the videos to be produced, because they aren’t true accounts of someone’s life. I still haven’t figured out if I like YouTube, or whether it’s actually just one more way that the world is taking us over, but I have come to a decision on lonelygirl15: I like it. I don’t particularly think it’s unethical in the way that most movies aren’t unethical. There is some untruth in the fact that it’s not a personal story but as long as it’s helping people and providing entertainment then it’s accomplishing all the goals that it set out. People have an obsession with honesty that got extended to entertainment in a way that isn’t completely relevant to the genre. Things on YouTube are meant to entertaining, that’s their main function. Ethics are important to be sure, as is honesty…but when it comes to entertainment, the world needs to be a little less uptight.

1. pegatinas

August 2, 2007 @ 4:56 pm

1

I look at most of the videos on YouTube as movies anyhow. But now it’s hard for me to decipher what is staged and what is not, so I assume 99% are staged. I don’t liked to be fooled.
    Anyway, nice article. Thanks.

2. St Albans

April 24, 2008 @ 5:07 pm

2

There is no difference between this and a soap opera. These have been on TV for years tackling real issues and this just follows on. I am an accountant in st albans and I like to unwind by enjoying a bit of “non reality tv!”

3. Peter lime

August 17, 2008 @ 11:04 am

3

I find the whole lonely girl thing a bit voyeuristic, i agree with the above comment that it is like a soap opera but i dont agree with things like big brother. You should see what goes on in my kitchen. St Albans has plenty of things going on in the real world, we shouldnt have to rely on others to provide our entertainment!

4. magnet st albans

September 15, 2008 @ 4:53 am

4

I think lonely girl 15 is hot!!