How do I turn a T-Mobile voicemail into an MP3 file on my computer?


I have a T-Mobile voice message that I would like to save as an MP3 file on my computer (for eventual publication on my Web site).  What’s the best way to do this?  I can forward the voicemail to another T-Mobile customer.  I can play it back from my phone or, with a PIN number, from any phone.

[Problem solved, with free software, thanks to a kind reader’s email: ]


  1. Dave Page

    April 3, 2006 @ 12:56 am


    The Sony T637 will record telephone audio to flash. For example, I have left-joystick set to launch the recorder — call VM, PIN, then left-joystick records the VM audio. Then one can use BT OBEX file transfer to move the audio (as an AMR file) to a PC. There’s a plugin for RealAudio to play AMR files. Search web for AMR/MP3 conversion.

    Would be nice if tmo would put the vm on the web like Vonage. Of course, one can fwd tmo missed calls to a suitable VM service.

  2. Bas Scheffers

    April 3, 2006 @ 8:30 am


    or, with a PIN number, from any phone.

    Are you still using a VOIP service? A softphone client may be able to record it, and if you can’t, you can use something like Virtual Audio Cable would certainly allow you to re-route the audio to other software for recording.

  3. Dan Craig

    April 3, 2006 @ 9:30 am


    There’s a company called GotVoice ( that will retrieve your voicemails, convert them to mp3, and then email them to you. Or at least, that’s what it’s supposed to do. I signed up and it worked initially, but I haven’t received any of my voicemails over email in a while.

  4. John Anderson

    April 3, 2006 @ 12:45 pm


    The easiest way to do this is get a cable that is male stereo jack on both ends, Plug one into your phone (it should have a headphone jack) and the other into your PC. Then use a program such as audacity to record it

  5. Dennis Slack

    April 4, 2006 @ 2:55 am


    You can follow John Anderson’s recommendation or Radio Shack has a device designed (maybe designed is to strong a term) to perform the task. It’s called a Wireless Phone Recording Controller (Part# 17-855).

  6. john

    October 30, 2006 @ 12:02 pm


    So – how did you solve this with Gizmo – i need to do the same thing!


Log in