Who else has a Bosch dishwasher? How does it work?

Folks: In an effort to become the consummate condo-dwelling yuppie, I replaced my 10-year-old (mid-priced) Whirlpool dishwasher, whose cleaning power was beginning to fade, with a $1200 Bosch. The new Bosch leaves food on silverware and dishes and can’t clean pots or pans. The Whirlpool, at age 10, did a far better job. Compared to the Whirlpool when new (throw in any dirty dish, without scraping or rinsing, and pots with all kinds of stuck-on crud), the Bosch is a joke. (full story) Anyone else have a Bosch dishwasher? How does it compare to your old American-style dishwasher?

[Update: After four service visits, Bosch figured out that the circulation pump on this machine was defective. Service visits number 5, 6, and 7 were devoted to bringing out a replacement part, opening the box, discovering that the replacement part was also defective, and driving away. On service visit number 8, the Bosch guy showed up with a working replacement circulation pump and installed it.  The dishwasher seems to work better now.  It only took 25 phone calls, 8 days home from work waiting for the repair guy, and more than twice as much money to get a dishwasher that works as well as the 1996-vintage Whirlpool (which never required any service in 11 years).  Surely there is no better time to be a yuppie…]

[Update 2: I moved to a new house in October 2008. The house had a fancy stainless steel Bosch dishwasher already installed. Problems that occurred within the first 6 months: (1) the lower spray arm cracked and fell off; (2) the soap dispenser would not close reliably; the seal at the bottom of the dishwasher leaked. After those were fixed (don’t ask what it cost!), the dishwasher worked reasonably well (nowhere near as well as the ancient Whirlpool) for a few months then suffered a 100 percent failure whereby it refused to start (though all of the LEDs behaved sensibly).]

1. Kate

April 5, 2010 @ 4:13 pm

1

I HATE our Bosch dishwasher so much. I have the horrendous smell problem–the “dead rodent” smell mentioned above. I’ve cleaned the filter, I run it with Cascade, I run rinse cycles, I’ve looked at the hose and it looks right to me…but nothing works. It smells disgusting, and now that smell is taking over my beautiful kitchen. We love to cook and the kitchen is the center of our home, and now it smells disgusting.

We’re buying a washing machine soon and I’ve told my husband we’re not even considering a Bosch. I tell everyone all the time what a terrible, unreliable, useless and disgusting machine this is. It’s utter garbage. Anytime anyone ever mentions a Bosch, I tell them they will regret it if they every buy one.

I loathe and despise my Bosch dishwasher.

2. philg

April 5, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

2

Whoa, Kate, tell us how you really feel!

3. NC

April 10, 2010 @ 8:28 am

3

We bought a Bosch SHE4AM1 (what happened to names like PowerScrubber 10K?) about 3 months ago to replace our 15 year old KitchenAid. The KitchenAid was loud but you could load a ton of dishes in it, they were dry when they came out, and it cleaned perfectly. Not so with the Bosch. It’s quiet but I can related to the previous poster in that I have to get a degree in Dishwasher Operation. I have to get strategic to load a fraction of the dishes I used to be able to load in the KitchenAid, and wind up putting half the glasses back in each time because they’re so cloudy. I’ve been trying different soaps and rinse aid settings, but nothing makes a difference. I knew I should have spent the extra money for a KitchenAid. I hope those people considering a Bosch will read this blog before doing so!

4. Kelly

April 28, 2010 @ 10:20 pm

4

Our Bosch has been a nightmare. Got it in a hurry from Sears, trying to replace an old broken down dishwasher before my mother in law and mom came to visit to help while my husband was having and recuperating from surgery. The installation didn’t go smoothly. Sears’ service is based on an automated phone system from hell, interspersed with a few real people, some of whom actually seem to know what they’re talking about, but then they make an appointment with a repair service that requires you to take four-hour chunks of time off work. It took about five follow-up visits, with the Sears technicians and the plumber/installer happily returning to blame each other and not do much. At one point they told me the space wouldn’t work for a dishwasher from Sears, and I expressed surprise, because there had been a dishwasher from Sears in that exact same space for the past 12 years. Finally a guy detected a small bit of wood that needed to be removed, and did so. He got it closing well enough to work. Although it never quite felt solid, I didn’t call back because I didn’t want to deal with it. I’ve learned a special technique for bumping it back into position every time I close it. Plus, the installer told me he’d have to take the kitchen apart if we ever wanted to get it out of there.

After a few months of relatively peaceful coexistence, it’s started leaving soap scum and everything else all over dishes. I’ve switched from Cascade and various cheap powder detergents (all of which worked in the old dishwasher) to Finish and a whole bunch of rinse-related products, so far without much result. Feeling increasingly desperate.

Reading these posts, I am grateful that we don’t have the smell problem (knock wood). I will try some of the detergents and products recommended. I feel less desperate and alone. Thank you for starting this discussion.

5. SarahL

May 16, 2010 @ 2:56 am

5

Kelly:

Wow. Never buy appliances from Sears. We learned that the hard way, years ago. Even back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and real-live people answered the phone, their service was horrible.

About your Bosch. We have also recently started having the same problem with the white powdery residue all over everything inside the dishwasher. This happened OVERNIGHT. Literally, one day the thing was cleaning perfectly, and the next day there was a white powder residue on everything inside the machine.

I have always used Bosch recommended products; in fact, nothing had changed from one day to the next! It wasn’t like we opened a new box of dishwasher soap, or a new bottle of rinse agent.

And, this isn’t my first Bosch, either. We bought/installed this unit in August of 2009 to replace a ten-year old Bosch that was still cleaning perfectly when the control unit quit working. So I was already used to running the hot water up to the sink before starting it, cleaning the filter monthly, etc.

Luckily, we have never had a problem with “the smell”.

We have had 7 service calls, and everything but the main motor assembly has been replaced.

I got desperate, and grabbed a product I found at the grocery store. It is an additive called “Lemi-Shine”. I have been using 50% Electrasol/Finish powder and 50% Lemi-Shine for the last three days, and my dishes are getting clean again. I have also set the Rinse Agent dispenser to the halfway point; more than we have typically needed in the past, but if it works…

Good Luck! I hope this helps! 🙂

6. Ruth

July 4, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

6

I TOTALLY agree with Kate. We HATE our Bosch dishwasher. The smell problem is the worst, it is embarassing and nauseating to even open it. We practically totally wash the dishes before we put them in and they still don’t get clean, plus the terrible smell is always there. We have tried everything including having a special Bosch repairman who charged us $100, changed a hose and it made no difference. I tried emailing the company numerous times and never received any answer. We also do not like the arrangement inside, like someone said, the glasses and dishes on the top rack fall over, it doesn’t hold near as many dishes as my old one and doesn’t get them all clean on top of it. We will never buy another one.

7. deborah

July 6, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

7

I love my Bosch. However, I did have some issues and since those have been solved I am very happy with my very quiet washer. It is about 7 years old.
    You can solve the smell problem by switching from liquid to powder dishwasher detergent. You probably have a brown film all over the inside of the washer which you can clean out using vinegar. I cleaned it manually and then put some vinegar in a bowl in bottom rack and ran a cycle. My flatware tray was disgusting as well. I cleaned this with water & bleach. And I had to clean the filter as well.
    I do not rinse my dishes before washing them. I do have a problem with brown spots on my knife blades, so I plan to rinse them before washing.
    Hope this helps you!

8. Sindi

July 10, 2010 @ 2:30 pm

8

I had a stainless steel Bosch Dishwasher installed 6/12/10 and had it replaced 7/6/10. Thought the first one was defective as my glasses were always cloudy, streaked, and spotted, left everything wet when finished running, silverware still had residue of food. This new one does the same thing. It was a replacement for a 10 year old bottom of the line one that did the same after the first year warranty expired. I plan to go down to Sears and pick out another make of dishwasher. Think I will buy Kenmore this time as next door neighbor has had one for years and no complaints. We live in an area with hard water but hers gets everything clean.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FED UP WITH BOSCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Dave

July 12, 2010 @ 5:03 pm

9

We have a Bosch dishwasher, gas stove/oven and hood. All were installed when the house was purchased in 2005.

The dishwasher is garbage! It stinks when opened and every peice of silverware including stainless steel rusts. The food doesn’t get completely removed from dishes, even though everything is rinsed before loading. Our previous dishwasher was a Hotpoint. The dishes were always clean, there was no musty smell, and silverware never rusted.

The oven is the same. My wife was cooking when smoke began to fill the kitchen and the main breaker popped. We called an appliance technician only to find out the problem was a blown interior fuse. A burnt wire caused the fuse to blow. I would expect this to happen on a 10 year old appliance, but not one thats only 5 years old.

The latest appliance to fail is the hood. Both the fan and lights have stopped working. I replaced the fuse and checked the main breaker to ensure it wasn’t blown. The fuse is fine, so once again there is probably some hidden fuse inside the hood. Of course, that will be another expensive call out.

The only appliance that hasn’t failed in some manner is the gas stove.

My electric and cordless drills are both Bosch and they have performed flawlessly for many years. It’s too bad they don’t put the same quality into their kitchen appliances. My wife and I will never buy another Bosch appliance again or recommend them to our friends.

10. Julie

July 17, 2010 @ 11:44 pm

10

I just purchased a Bosch dishwasher that smells like tar or oil at the top of the control panel. I noticed another poster mentioned this, but no responses. Is this a potential hazard? Did it ever go away? I’m running it for the second time now.

11. Steven B.

July 22, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

11

Bosch dishwashers are trash. We bought one and have had numerous problems with them. You call their Customer Support dept and they don’t even care. Just seems like they read from product manual, and can’t wait to clock out.

12. Lorna

August 1, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

12

We purchased a Bosch Eco Sense dishwasher in May, 2010 when our trusty originally low priced Westinghouse quit. The Bosch is a nightmare. It is rusting our good stainless steel flatware AND it does not clean the flatware. It also stinks when we open the door. We took samples of the flatware to show the saleslady when we went in to complain. She told us that the food left on the flatware was just streaking (although you can scrape it off with your fingernail) and that the rusting was because we were not removing the flatware immediately at the end of the cycle!! She also suggested that I call Bosch Customer Service which I did. Customer Service sent me back to the retailer to request a service man. It has now been two weeks and I have not seen anyone. I am so frustrated.

13. Charlie

August 5, 2010 @ 4:37 pm

13

Bought our Bosch SHU9925UC/14 at the “Great Indoors” 9 years ago. At first there was water dripping out at the top of the door. A technician came in and corrected that. For years it ran and we barely noticed it becuse of it being so quiet. In the last 6 months we heard a squealing coming out of it now and then. It became noisier and nosier over the months whereas before, we never knew it was on. Finally, it stopped working. A Sears “Tech” came in under our protection plan and said, “It needed a new pump motor and impeller ” and between that service call ($124) and the cost of parts and labor, it was going to be in excess of $500. They are going to call us back in 3 days and offer us a token amount of credit and then we can buy another dishwasher from them, or we’ll have to paying for the difference that’s over $500. Will keep you posted.

14. MaryL

August 21, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

14

We purchased a Bosch dw about a year ago. I hate the RACKS! (I am afraid to say everything else is ok.) I used to never even remember when I had to buy a new set of glasses and I have probably bought 4 new packages this past year. They have nothing to hold them in place and like another poster said, if you open or even close the rack they all fall over, I loved my racks in my GE midline dw that I had for 23 yrs. I have a handy dh so he was able to do the minor repairs we had with it and even go to the appliance store and pick up a new silverware basket every 5 yrs or so (I keep the knife blades down since the kid across the street fell into his mom’s dw basket and knives went through his hand!). I always rinse dishes, if running right away it may not be spotless and I have been teased but haven’t noticed an odor, even with our GE we had glass problems that we would have to clean out occasionally at the bottom in the drain filter so that didn’t seem extraordinary. But I HATE the RACKS, when I went to my sil’s lake house and she had the same dw I told her I couldn’t get used to mine (it was fairly new) and she agreed the racks were the pits but she didn’t run it very often anyway and they use a lot of plastics and such there at the lake! I was googling this today to see if anyone had a solution for these dumb racks that some engineer must have gone to the store and bought a 16 pc dinnerware set and designed the racks just for it…not considering we all don’t have the same size dishes and that we usually have too many glasses and bowls to just put on the rack, they should have tried it out at home.

15. Mary

August 24, 2010 @ 9:33 am

15

We are also experiencing the oil smell whenever we run our Bosch.

16. Kathie

September 12, 2010 @ 5:42 pm

16

I love my Bosch, guess I am an anomaly. I have had mine for about 7 yrs. You do have to only use Cascade, make sure the rinse aid dispenser is full and because we have well water, I use Dishwasher Magic or a similar product every two weeks or so to keep it running well. However, we have been having massive water problems in our house lately, too much shell and sediment. Everything that has to do with water went beserk, except my dishwasher. UNTIL, last week. Repariman came out, said it is the circulation pump. Does anyone know where you can buy one? It cost about $296 to have the repairmen fix it. My husband can probably do it himself if he can find a pump.

Thank you.

17. Adam

September 20, 2010 @ 12:42 am

17

We bought a Bosch EcoSense dishwasher in June 2010. It’s been okay, but there have been some problems. When we first started using it after it was installed, we kept smelling an oily odor coming from it. After a few weeks, that smell went away and we haven’t had that issue anymore.

Then, a couple of months later, our dishes were coming out covered in white residue. We were using Cascade Complete powder with Jet Dry rinse agent. We tried using more and less detergent to see if that was the problem, but the dishes continued to have the residue. We refilled the rinse agent to make sure that wasn’t the problem, but the residue was still there. So, we switched to using Finish PowerBall Tabs as our detergent. We haven’t seen any residue since.

Now, we’re getting nacho cheese-looking gunk in the round plastic filter. I’ve cleaned it out a few times, and it still comes back looking like we’ve poured nacho cheese on it after a wash…weird. Our dishes have no sign of cheese, or really much of anything else on them prior to a cycle. So, I can’t figure out what on Earth is causing that. I’m not too impressed with our Bosch dishwasher.

18. Laurie

September 20, 2010 @ 5:21 pm

18

After about 3 1/2 – 4 years our Bosch dishwasher is all of a sudden leaving a white film on everything. Ruining dishes, glasses, siverware and esp. plastic pieces. just like Adam I am using Cascade Complete, Jet Dry rinse agent and tried more and less detergent and making sure rinse agent is full. Started washing on delicate cycle….nothing has helped. I guess I will try Adam’s detergent. Anyone else have this problem??

19. Laurie

September 21, 2010 @ 8:53 pm

19

Ok, very frustrated!! The Finish PowerBall Tabs did not work for us. Anyone have any other suggestions for this terrible white film that is coating everything????

20. Roland Petit

September 26, 2010 @ 11:43 am

20

The “new” Bosch dishwashers are all flimsily designed incredibly unbelievable pieces of TRASH. I have and I am reminded of my mistake EVERY DAY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, stay away from BOSCH. I had an older model Bosch that this POS replaced that developed leaks but worked perfectly for years with no hassles. The “new” Bosch Enterprise is a FRAUD against the unsuspecting consumer.

21. Terri

October 4, 2010 @ 9:50 pm

21

We bought our Bosch over a year ago (replaced our old, noisy Maytag). Since day 1 that thing has smelled. It’s a horrible death smell. I can’t even describe it. Our old Maytag never smelled, I have had dishwashers for over 25 years…never any problems like this. We do not have a disposal. This thing stinks and it makes me mad with all these suggestions to drain this or use this special soap…wth? never had to do all this work with a dishwasher before..I don’t want to think about my dishwasher dammit…I jut want it to clean. I HATE Bosch. NEVER AGAIN…and I will blog this to everyone.

22. luke

October 16, 2010 @ 9:16 am

22

Bosch Nexxt 500 series washer and 2 diswashers both installed 4 years ago. Very dissatisfied – leaks from seals in all 3, dishwasher racks fall apart. Cycle in washer occasionally goes to different cycle on its own so a quick wash will go to full wash. 1 dishwasher will not drain then I run it again and it will. I bought due to consumer reports and good looks. NEVER AGAIN! TRASH.

23. Elaine

November 8, 2010 @ 8:24 pm

23

Purchased a Bosch 5 years ago. First wouldn’t drain…had to have it repaired. This summer it has started to STINK so bad – I cannot stand it when I open the door. I tried vinegar – that did not work. I hate the LONG cycle…and I hate the top rack —-cannot put glasses in…..dishes just don’t fit right. I might add that I had a GE for over 20 years – never had it fixed once –and it cleaned like a dream. My silverware – knives especially come out with red food like looking spots..which I have to rewash by hand. I paid so much for this fancy dishwasher and I’ve never liked it. Now with this smell – I’m ready to pull it out and buy something else!

24. Jim Wheeler

November 15, 2010 @ 6:08 pm

24

Just bought a bosch SHE55M156C/60 and immediately had the TAR SMELL that other people have reported, the bosch reps in huntington beach have been less than helpful. We called bosch within a few weeks and were told, the smell will go away after 10 washes. Well it’s been run a 100 times and still smells.They have had 3 service techs out and the last tech said oh yes I know what that is, it’s an oil base coating they put on the housing to help make it quiet. I thought bosch was a quality product and that they stood by it, but I’m not getting that impression from them. I don’t know what they’re thinking, if you treat people badly that have spent good money on a product, do they really think I’d ever buy another bosch product?

25. kramer

November 17, 2010 @ 8:45 pm

25

Well, we are now seeing the white power-like stain inside the dishwasher. It just started happening all of a sudden. And of course, sometimes the inside of it stinks.

I will NEVER buy a Bosch product again! I fell ripped off and if anybody wants to get in on a class-action suit, I’m in!

What I wonder is, if this dishwasher we got which is supposed to use a little bit of water is a prelude to the “green” economic hell that is coming our way?

26. Todd

November 26, 2010 @ 1:29 am

26

Our complaint is simple. The cycle on my SHE 46 takes just too damn long. Over two hours? Feel silly complaining in light of the more serious issues displayed above. Any suggestions or fixes?

27. indyglideman

December 5, 2010 @ 10:52 pm

27

I have a Bosch that I bought at Sears in 2004, worked like a champ till I received a certified letter from Bosch stating that the machine was under a recall and that the timer needed to be replaced for threat of fire!

I called the 800 number on the letter and they told me the name of 3 different repair shops in the metro area. I called the first two and no one answered the line. The third shop was very professtional and arranged a time to come out to change the timer.

Oddly enough the next day (November 12, 2010)he dishwasher stopped pumping out the dirty water after a cycle. I called the shop back and advised of the issue and could the problemn be looked into at the same time as the call for the timer. They advised they could look at this problem at the same time and could be realted to a timer failure.

Repair man shows up, changes the timer and still will not pump out. He disassembles the bottom of the machine and discovers that the pump motor is rusted and the rust was caused by a pin hole in the tub where it had rusted through.

I have sent every piece of info that they have requested as well as digital photos of the hole. I have been told twice that they will have a decision the next day and that has been once in each of the last two weeks.

I am certain that i will end up buying a new machine and will be sure to tell everyone this story.

As of today Bosch has been “reviewing the situation” since the second week of November and has yet to make a decision to stand behing their lifetime gaurantee.

28. Eric

January 10, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

28

I was also getting a white film on all my glasses and dishes. I increased the hot water temperature to 130 degress and switched detergent to Cascade Complete, both suggestions I found here. Everything is coming out spotless. I do have that oily smell, but it seems to have dissipated over the last 2 months since I installed the machine. Wish I had been more resourceful and located this site earlier – I strictly went by Consumer Reports. They haven’t steered me too wrong in the past, but seriously, what were they thinking when they recommended these Bosch Dishwashers?