It Can’t Be Over Already

Today was the last session of this fall’s Freshman Seminar. I can’t believe we have reached the end of the semester. Each year’s class is wonderful, but there was something about this group of students. Engaged. Funny. Thoughtful. Spirited. Excited about the future and the potential it holds for all of us. I hope each of you keeps in touch and calls on me when you have something to share or want to just talk through different opportunities. Thank you for making 50N something to which I looked forward each and every week.

On the other hand, as you probably sensed in class today, I am amazed that the exuberance around blockchain and crypto-currencies continues to grow. When will we see this exuberance pop? I don’t know. Jim would know better than me, but there are a number of hard distributed computing problems that seem to have been swept under the rug, which might be ok in small networks, but worry me in large ones. I was also struck while reading with the lack of careful consideration of the threats against blockchain and the systems built upon it. Maybe such careful threat modeling is done elsewhere, but it continues to feel like we’re repeating the same problematic approach to the world that we saw throughout the development of the Internet and its applications: rush to trumpet the functionality and worry later about the threats.

The first Bitcoin paper says that double spends are not a problem because you can ignore them. But can an adversary flood the network with double spends? Would such an approach become a type of denial of service? Is a double spend request just a normal timing problem in the network, or is it something nefarious? This is just one example I wish I had seen considered.

In a related way, I found the Ether Thief paper fascinating. It appeared that no one deeply involved with the development of Ethereum ran a tabletop exercise to determine and practice what every person involved should do when the inevitable attack happens. You hope your bank is never robbed, but you can bet your bottom dollar that banks run tabletop exercises regularly to make sure that everyone knows what to do when a robbery happens. I suggest that you ask before you put your money into one of these blockchain-based systems what they’ve done to protect themselves against theft and how often they practice doing what they’ll do during an actual theft. No theft will be a textbook theft in all ways, but preparation matters and can help with prevention. The Harvard Kennedy School has experts in the field of Crisis Leadership, and while it might be no fun to be grilled by the likes of Professor Dutch Leonard in one of these mock sessions (from experience), you learn a lot about what you’re ready to handle and what you need to prepare yourself to handle.

Lastly, I’d like to touch upon the Iansiti and Lakhani paper. I thought it was quite good for what it was: an argument against blockchain as a disruptive technology. However, I don’t think blockchain is like TCP/IP. TCP/IP had competitors, but forks of the technology weren’t a long-term issue. If you found a mistake in the current implementation of TCP/IP, you fixed it and everything easily moves over to the new implementation. If you had a dispute about which implementation works better, you put both out there and one eventually won out (everyone moved over to it). Of course, some things are harder to change than others (e.g., consider how long it took to move from IPv4 to IPv6). Even so, we haven’t experienced in TCP/IP the threat of many persistent forks in the way we’re seeing in crypto-currencies. The network effect made the Internet take off quickly and that was fueled by basically a dominant foundational technology. I am not so convinced in the blockchain world.

But then, I’m old. I have often been wrong.

1. jakobgilbert

December 7, 2017 @ 4:38 am

1

I agree that Bitcoin comes with extreme security flaws. The way I see it, it is dangerously close to collapse at all times. However, the people don’t seem to care; the more issues warned, the higher the price climbs. Perhaps we are wrong, and Bitcoin will become a world currency.

There lies the difference between blockchain and banks: who would organize tabletop exercises for a deregulated, decentralized currency? The heart of Bitcoin is faith — faith that 51% of the computing power allocated to the blockchain is non-malicious and that anyone capable of that much power would rather mine than attack. In an age where foreign governments aim to influence the American view of the internet through propaganda, “fake news,” and bots, I don’t think we can rule out the idea that an entity may be more interested in destabilizing BTC than making money.

Regardless, it feels futile to resist the way the world is going; if Bitcoin is the future, I fear being left behind. Every time I think BTC has climbed too high to be purchased, it seems to double in price the next day. The price of Bitcoin, of course, is not what should represent its value (as people are buying in on hype alone right now), but it seems that more and more businesses are accepting BTC and big players are beginning to invest.

BTC comes with a lot of mystery and volatility — I think the truest answer is that there is no way to predict what will happen. Just as someone living in 1900 could never in infinite guesses predict the internet when asked what the world would look like in 2017, perhaps Bitcoin is the next unpredictable out-of-left-field invention of our lives.

But then, I’m young. I am wrong more often than right.

2. profsmith

December 11, 2017 @ 6:28 pm

2

Thanks for your response. While Bitcoin is decentralized, it still has developers. Those developers (or a handful of them) could still run a tabletop exercise and publish their findings. This would benefit the community around Bitcoin. Think RFC for Bitcoin, which was very successful for the Internet and its community.

My only other comment would be that there was a lot of this same feeling of “this time is different” right before the Internet Bubble crash.