The Machine

Posted on February 16th, 2007 by Randomly Chosen.
Categories: Uncategorized.

I asked a fellow classmate about how he spent his previous night and whether or not he was able to do what he had promised himself, “study”.

“Nope”… he said, “I was on the computer… and I don’t know what I was doing.”

“Same here”, I said, “I spend hours on youtube, and I don’t know how my nights and days get wasted.”

Come to think of it: even now, I am using a Web 2.0 platform to write this blog post. I used to learn things better 3 years ago. And now, every single hallway has computer kiosk to check our email, blog and what not. We get a break midway through a lecture, and everyone goes to a kiosk, quickly checks their email, facebook, blog or what have you. Three years ago, I could focus on my books and notes, without ever feeling like “I need to check my emails” because partly, I wouldn’t get any emails. And now:

“Someone left a comment on your wall”

“You have received a comment on your latest post.”

“You have a comment a approve.”

“You have a friend request”

And honestly, I do like to get these notifications. Most of these things are happening and most of these comments are coming from the people I don’t know and I don’t even think I would ever meet them ever in my real life. And sometimes I worry if my writings have offended anyone, sometimes (most times) I worry if my comments are ridiculous, offensive, or dumb!

When I want to think about it, I wonder “what does it matter?”

Sometimes I get offended/upset/frustrated/sad/mad/happy/excited/happy/anything after reading a good/bad/ugly post/comment.

What if these people don’t even exist? What if they are males instead of females? What if they are females instead of males? What if they are Christians instead of Muslims, what if they are Muslims instead of Jews?

How do we know if someone is telling the truth?

How do we know that some creep is not outthere is using this platform to take advantage of you?

Even after having bitter experience on a personal (because of Web 2.0) level, why do I still come back to blogging?

Maybe the day has come, where we, the all of humanity, are enslaved.

Enslaved by ourselves… we can’t get over our addictions. We do what we want to do, and not what we should do.

Welcome to this new blog. Yet again, I changed my URL. The previous one got a little too much personal info and will only be shared with a few people.

While you are at it, enjoy the Youtube clip.

Okay, in this wordpress thing, I can’t embed any media. That is dumb!

5 comments.

GTTerry

Comment on August 15th, 2007.

I tend to think of this as an evolution in personal behaviour. The ones who are unable to deal with the changes will phase out, leaving the rest of the binary code for everyone else.

Bay of Islands

Comment on August 20th, 2007.

You need a blackberry 🙂
Then you can check facebook during the lecture and study when everyone else is or… erm…

molecule clothing

Comment on September 4th, 2009.

Darn those web2.0 lectures! Actually I usually end up spending most of the time reading my emails, once I pull my cell out of my cargo pants!

cargo pants

Comment on September 4th, 2009.

speaking of cargo pants, amazing how they are still standard college wear, after all these years.

bedroom accessories

Comment on May 16th, 2010.

Interesting, so it seems that you’re all computer fans over there. Guess you guys did not manage to take a look at my site about bedroom accessories to turn your student room into something nicer.