About Me

I am a museum professional living in the Washington, D.C., metro area, and currently engaged at Harvard University (via Harvard Extension School) in graduate work in management and museum studies. The focus of my academic work at Harvard is non-profit development. By allowing students access to courses remotely, Harvard Extension School empowers working professionals to pursue advanced studies without moving to Cambridge—although I confess I greatly enjoy the courses that do take me to campus.

For many years, I have been a devoted historian of Freemasonry and its iconography. My research interests in that field are strongly focused upon the development of Freemasonry in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Current work is focused on the careful reading of early Masonic literature, with special attention to intertextuality, thematic progression, and ritualistic praxis.

Since 2012, I have worked at the George Washington Masonic National Memorial, where I serve as the Director of Communications and Development. The Memorial is a major museum in the Capital region, and was recently minted a National Historic Landmark. We are engaged in a major endeavor to restore the building, funded by a capital campaign in which anyone may participate.

Since 2009, I have edited Philalethes: The Journal of Masonic Research and Letters, the oldest independent Masonic publication in North America. Established in 1946, Philalethes is now printed quarterly. Many of my contributions to this journal are available for download on my Academia.edu profile.